Driving from Seattle to Vancouver with aprs

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by W7BIM, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W7BIM

    W7BIM Ham Member QRZ Page


    I recently setup my aprs and I am planning to ride my motorcycle to Vancouver bc. I am planning to keep my aprs tracking on through my ride.

    Can I continue to transmit aprs packets into Canada using my US callsign or I have to make any changes when I cross the border?

    Equipment I am going to use is:
    Magmount antenna on the motorcycle
    Tnc3 connected to ft-60r ht radio

    Thanks in advance
  2. KS2G

    KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

    You have to identify (in whatever mode you're using) with your U.S. call sign with an indicator that you are portable in Canada:

    "The US and Canada share an automatic reciprocal operating agreement. US amateurs must carry proof of their US citizenship and their valid US license. Identification for US amateurs is the US call separated by a stroke and the appropriate Canadian prefix identifier (e.g. N1KB/VE3). In all other instances, or as specified by the national licensing body, the prefix goes before the call sign." [emphasis added]

    See: http://www.arrl.org/international-operating

    W7BIM and W1TRY like this.
  3. W7BIM

    W7BIM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thank you for the info!

Share This Page