Driving An Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N9CUC, Nov 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9CUC

N9CUC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been licensed since November of 1981. Just passed my Extra Class license test a week ago.

Like a lot of amateur radio operators I suppose you could say my technical knowledge is not the greatest in the world. And like a lot of amateur radio operators I learned enough, studied enough, etc, to pass the Extra Class license test.

It is what it is.

KK4PLD, KB9BVN, AD0AC and 6 others like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the upgrade! No more band edges to memorize!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the upgrade. :):cool:

No one is prefect. ;)

W0BTU likes this.
  4. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

And generally they hide behind a keyboard when doing it.

KS4W, W9AMM, AE1P and 4 others like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a microphone...........

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen to all that brother.

K1OIK likes this.
  7. AC4BB

When you found out you could skip the twenty. What was is/ the original call?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    W5TTP likes this.
  8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when amateur radios had hollow state devices called "Tubes" (Valves if you live across-the-pond), the concept of a driver may be unfamiliar to the modern appliance operator simply because the driver often needed to be tuned just as did the finals.

Unlike the good (?) ol' days, few of us build our own transmitters whether from kits or scratch; how long has it been since you last heard a Chirpy, signal with key-clicks a Kilo-Cycle-per-second or more away from the fundamental? You can thank the fact that builders are on the decline and appliance operators are the majority in our avocation; it really does have several silver linings, the first is that nearly every CW signal report could have an "X" appended to the end, and few-if-any deserve a "K" or a "C"; add to that the lack of interest in CW by many of the newcomers means that the influx of new operators hasn't impacted the CW sub bands as much as it has the fone sections of our spectrum.

As far as Lids are concerned, we've always had them, and chastisement hasn't ever really helped to thin their ranks; however good patient Elmering has converted more-than-one LID into a "Class "A" Op."

9. AC4BB

My log book stretches all of way back to June, 82, I might have worked the guy.? I have a paper call book from 1982 .

10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't ask the wrong question, no such thing.

There is a way to lower the output of your radio. I forgot what amplifier you said you were using but if it is solid state don't put the full power (100 watts) into it. Might cause damage. Start out with 20 or so watts input to your amplifier to be on the safe side.

Driving an amplifier, a popular term used by some. You're not driving anything. Your radio is exciting the amplifier into operation.

Don't let the turds on this site get to you.

W5BIB likes this.