Driving An Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N9CUC, Nov 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you get the I'm new part? Lighten up Charlie.

2. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

His question may appear to be trivial to you but consider the possibility that he is new to our hobby and he believes that hsi question will serve as a vehicle to establish himself as a participant in the group. By the shots given, I suspect that he will never again post and as demonstrated by the arrogance of some QRZ'ers he may leave the hobby without having the opportunity to meet, talk with and learn from some very talented people, both as to electronics and life in general!

And BB, it's corky... spend a few minustes and READ member's QRZ pages.... You might actually learn!

KG5ILR likes this.
  3. AC4BB

Bite me.

4. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

As I said before, we were ALL there at some point. And, it has always been my philosophy, if you don't know, ask.

NL7W likes this.
  5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Adjusting the output power is clearly defined in your user manual.

6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ummm...you better explain amplifier grid current....

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect both of us and most others had a 'steep' learning curve as newcomers which was facilitated in part by a limited novice class license and a structure which required some effort to achieve our goals. If someone isn't willing to work even a little bit by reading an operator's manual, maybe there is something wrong with the system that incentivizes the easy way out.

8. AC4BB

Well, What if, he gets the wrong advice and his amp melts down? You want to still stick your neck out ? It Ain't hard to cook an amp. Is it new and may require a certain amount of idle time? break in time. 10-4 Corky. Then whom will the new guy trust from now on?
    Gee, I'm so sorry I caused you to blow your nice amp up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  9. N9CUC

N9CUC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fellow Hams,
    As an FYI, I had just gone through about the first 30-40 pages of the Yaesu FT-950 owners manual a couple of days ago. I didn't recall reading anything about power and wattage so I thought I would ask here. I figured I would get a quick answer - and I did. And my uncle took home my owners manual, ARRL Extra Class license manual, and a couple of my CQ magazines with him the other day to read as he is/was a ham as well. He is recovering from chemotherapy and he thought that might give him some interesting reading material over the weekend. So, therefore, I didn't have my owners manual with me to consult and, as a result, came here to seek some advice.

Not sure why there is something wrong with what I did.

WA9WVX and AA7QQ like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bryan, that's so last-century. I think today it means placing the amplifier in your car or truck and traveling around with it.:p

WA7PRC likes this.