Driving An Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N9CUC, Nov 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N9CUC

N9CUC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing on my Yaesu FT-950 that would suggest to me that I can vary the wattage from a small amount up to the 100.

What am I missing here? I turn the FT-950 on and its my understanding I automatically always have 100 watts.

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed

NL7W likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

So much for multiple choice...
    See operating/user manual. Hint -page 57.

Is it easier to ask here than to read the manual?

KM1H likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh boy......

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Driving amplifier = increase the amplitude of signal going into the amplifier until grid current (tube amplifier) or base/gate voltage (solid state amplifier) reaches the maximum limit of the amplifier.

My Kenwood TS850SAT has a wattmeter built-in. But, I NEVER use it to determine the appropriate drive level for my Heatkit SB-220 amplifier. Amplifier grid current is what matters.

Bryan WA7PRC

6. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're having trouble finding out how to adjust the output power of your transceiver, I suspect you are equally in the dark regarding numerous other important controls. Most modern transceivers have menus and sub menus (and sub sub menus :p ). You aren't going to be able to figure it out by guessing and pushing buttons. If you don't have an operator's manual, GET ONE. It's that simple.

7. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

If ya ain't driving yer amp, ya can't push watts!

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

For SSB/AM modes, if nothing else, there's a MICrophone gain control. For CW mode, there'll be a CARRier level control. These may or may not be represented by a knob. Most recent transceivers also have some kind of PWR control. It looks like Page 57 of the FT950 User Manual (link) covers this.

9. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people affirm their pseudo knowledge by posting comments like those quoted above.

I see that you are new to the hobby. Most of us not possesing the intrinsic ham radio gene (not like the fellow who made the quoted faux humor posted above) either learn by trial and error, reading, a combination of these two or from an elmer. Posting here in the forum is good and sometimes you will actually get an intelligent response to your question.

KK4RSV, KS4W and KJ4YEV like this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm of the opinion that asking questions is always a good way to learn and that we should help newcomers whenever we can. However, I also think that reverting to ask some questions which are elementary and clearly can be found in the owner's manual and the internet is dubious at best and an indicator of how much effort some put into learning.

It makes one wonder if some people would be hams if it required some effort.

VE1IDX, KM1H and N4IAG like this.