ad: Alphaant-1

Drilling above dome light for NMO mount in 95 Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WB1ECP, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB1ECP

WB1ECP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all - getting my new-to-me 95 Cherokee ready for the trails. It's been recommended to drill above the dome light to avoid fooling with the headliner, but when I got all the dome light connectors out of the way, it appears there's a lower, corrugated-looking second layer of metal:

[​IMG]

I don't see how I could ever get a good, tight NMO seal on that, but photos of other Cherokees with no headliner seem to suggest that most of the roof is flat. Anybody got any great advice here? Seems like if I moved outside the area of the dome light it would be flat.....but then I'd be messing with all the headliner headaches.

Would very much appreciate any wisdom!

All best and 73,

Gerry
    WB1ECP
    Joelton, TN

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

part of roof bracing. double layer...

3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does your Jeep have one or two dome lights?
    Mike N3PM

4. WB1ECP

WB1ECP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply, WQA; it does seem to move up and down with the headliner, so it's not attached to the roof. Any idea how I can get an NMO mount on the top layer? There's just not a lot of room for me to work in there, i.e. removing that second layer...

N3PM, I do have two - one in the middle (where I am trying to install) and one at the very rear of the roof.

Many thanks for the assistance, all!

5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look around inside the dome light opening in the headliner. Chances are there's some single-layer sheet metal nearby. I mounted an NMO on a pickup roof this way once. Just reach through the opening to manipulate stuff. Be careful when you drill - you are now drilling in a place where you can punch through the headliner... :oops::rolleyes: