Drawn out dahs??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Recently, I worked a person who had a very pronounced style that I found difficult to follow. Afterward, I read on his qrz page that he'd recently suffered a catastrophic illness and was recovering. I should have come to this resolution before, but I certainly did afterward: just like elsewhere in life, it's safe to assume the reason behind what you hear is much more complex than you have any idea about.

Many people have suffered through my hamfisted QSOs (one just did a min ago). The least I can do is give everyone the courtesy of an earnest try at having a chat.

Also, I am starting to like the sound of the banana boat swing, honestly. I might have to get me a bug.

2. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm starting to have "that day" once in a while when the bug and I don't get along. I can get past it with a little concentration, but in the middle of a QSO I know it's hard on the other op. Most are understanding. One gentleman recently STRONGLY suggested that I get a keyer. Appreciated his comment, because I had really struggled. Although he answered a CQ at my speed, he kept QRQing on me. No problem; I send slower than I can copy -- but I wasn't going to crank up the speed just to make even more botches that day.

A QSO isn't an offer of marriage (usually HI). If it's not working, well, there's always SRI OM QSB. Or if you're on 30 metres, there's QSB even when things ARE working. :rolleyes:

3. KE4KE

KE4KE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You will hear guys send the last K - invitation to transmit, drawn out on purpose. It is to confirm that one is using a straight or manual key.

4. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoa is that why they do it? I thought it was emphasize they were turning it back over. I've started doing it when I'm using a straight key (most of the time) so cool!

5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yah, just a shorthand way of sending SO BK TU U or BK or whatever. Drawing it out makes it obvious that your K is turning it over.

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine that those who play a Wurlitzer would send extended daaaahs as habit, particularly at the end of a transmission.

"I am having trouble copying you" could mean anything from bad fist to band conditions to being new at CW. No one should take that as a criticism.

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a keyer in my radio, but have increased the length of "dah" generated by the keyer slightly. I think "regulation" is dah = 3 x dit. I've got mine set at 3.3 x. Just enough to make it soudn slightly different from everyone else.

8. KE4KE

KE4KE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That too... but it does definitely show that one is using a manual key.

9. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like that .. In fact one amazing thing I have discovered in my short morse adventure is that I am starting to recognize a few OPs by their sending style and I think thats pretty neat. I use a cootie and try to keep it pretty clean and accurate, but I;m sure I have a little something in there that stands out from the crowd ( not that I am trying too )