Drawn out dahs??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, Gentelman to gentleman correction and advice is part of amateur radio. Iron sharpens iron.
    If you will please read this Entire thread you will find reason for what had to be stated in above.
    No, correction to error is never pleasant and is uncomfortable for all.
    Again, if you do not re-read this Entire post then your reply above is un-warranted Ed.
    My conscience is clear. Thanks for your concern. 73 lane

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let the beatings continue until the morale improves! Carry on. ;)

KD4ZFS likes this.
  3. W8ES

W8ES XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Braden, I believe part of being a good CW operator is being able to copy poor fists.

WD0BCT, K8PRG and YO3GFH like this.
  4. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I was intercept op in VN, wonder how it would have gone over if I would have said to the watch captain "Sir, I can't copy this guy, his characters all run into each other"

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

hmmm,... you must have been at Phu Bai ;) - You forgot to mention Chirpy, Warbling signals that often became only "key clicks" - AND,... don't forget those "hand-cranked" generators that caused "Charlie" to drift all-over-the-place !! (one hand on the dial & the other using a "stick" to copy with) :D

We sure had some fun didn't we ? :p

Steve / W5BIB - (USN - CTR1 - 1964-72)
    VQ-1 [EC-121's] - Danang - 1965-67

"Welcome Home" Richard:)

6. WD0BCT

You were not an amateur op either! ;)

7. WD0BCT

True...but an amateur attempting to hone his CW skills is not really a good CW operator...yet. So lets's not ridicule those learning....IMO.

KD4ZFS likes this.
  8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, and having a decent fist is another part.
    Really, guys, we're not "Charlie" in a foxhole here. Most of us are doing this for fun. I commend those who can read bum code, but if your bug is out of whack, someone will let you know eventually.

9. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE.. So lets's not ridicule those learning....IMO.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly to the original post.

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been playing at CW, off and on, since I was a teenager. At the time, my elmer commended my "fist". Since he had spent many years in three services in radio communications, at the time I cherished that compliment. Still do. But I'm 71 now and my hands get tired, my fingers cramp. My dahs are long on the bug unless I constantly concentrate. I love CW and appreciate it when occasionally someone still gives me a compliment. If I get too sloppy, I would probably appreciate that some caring ham would gently let me know, but I would already know it. Most of us want good code.
    Lately though I'm learning to appreciate a well sent, but not perfect "bug" fist. Hope I don't get too carried away with that.
    Guys, There are some out there who know good code, but their arthritis, or remnants of a stroke, or "chemo brain", like I had once, keep them from performing perfectly. Please be tolerant. Please be gentle. Let's keep CW, the best out there in ham radio. After all, us "brass pounders" are all we got.

VE7PJR, WD0BCT and KQ4MM like this.