Drawn out dahs??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The nice thing about ham radio is that if the QSO gets uncomfortable for any reason you can always leave the dialog claiming QRM or QRN. It doesn't offend anyone.

KD8ZM likes this.
  2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

W1BV and KD8ZM like this.
  3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good word, sir - I guess that's more or less what I intended to say. One part of me says to be polite and to not say why I'm dropping out (which is what I'd generally do), another side of me realizes I'm not doing someone any favors by being dishonest about why I'm dropping out. I guess in the case i mentioned, I decided it was bad enough that I'd be honest. (Whether everyone agrees with that approach, or not).

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Rick! Miss hearin' you key!
    Now, you boys play nice.
    BTW, I agree with Rick. ;)

5. KD8ZM

About what, specifically? Just curious.

6. N8AFT

Ya just don't get it do you??

7. KD8ZM

I could guess pretty accurately, I think. But, here's what else I get: I think the dialogue here was pretty good, but suddenly K8PRG (your buddy, apparently?), came in and made a very rude, unprovoked accusation directed at me - that I'm holding myself out as some sort of authority simply because I think I can tell whether I can copy someone's code or not.
    And then, you came in and implied that he was justified in doing so.
    In reality, might it be that it's the two of you who feel that you are authorities, and that in your minds I am not being deferential enough to you, or would actually dare to have an opinion, "as a new guy"? Maybe I should have said "as a guy who's been continuously licensed since 1984" to gain acceptance - I can't read your mind so I'm not sure.
    You don't have to listen to me, but I'm not going to be told I can't post on a public forum or have an opinion or point of view, in deference to whatever good-old-boy network you might think you're a part of.
    As I've said many times before on these forums, since re-starting CW I have found CW ops to be the nicest group of people I've found anywhere, and very supportive. I'm glad this experience has been a rare exception to that.

WR2E likes this.
  8. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not about to say you can't have an opinion or point of view, but when you do it on a public forum, you're not exempt from opposing views, or call outs when you're riding your high horse.

9. N8AFT

It is apparent by your admitted lack of experience with Morse code and the A1 mode including the operating habits and foibles of amateur CW operators that you really aren't at the place to make any comments about the sending habits of others.
    This is what my pal Rick was Trying to get across to you.
    Yes, people make friends. Rick, K8PRG, and I are friends. I helped coach him as a neophyte CW op a few yrs ago.
    He was never presumptuous enough as a new op to make judgmental comments of his fellow CW ops even though I'm sure he knew better.
    Your comments about and to the ops you had/have a hard time copying were unjustified and not in the gentleman spirit of amateur radio.
    Sorry you never got a clue as to what so many others were Trying to tell you all this time in a round-about to save your feelings...
    I hope you carry on with CW and amateur radio but with a understanding and patience for others maybe who have not your mental and physical abilities to send perfect code.
    VY 73 lane de n8aft sk ..

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are the above quotes examples of "the gentleman spirit of ham radio"? KD8ZM's original post was asking how best to handle the situation and not admonishing a sender he could not follow.

KD4ZFS and WR2E like this.