ad: wmr-1

Drawn out dahs??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One's physical abilities inevitably decline with age. We can slow the decline, but we cannot stop it.

I don't know about you, but I find I have to practice more and more to keep using a bug; and even then, I am gradually making more and more mistakes using one (although I don't think I need to put mine away just yet).

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Mumbling in Morse ?

Banana boat swing and all I have learned to make sense of the worse mutilated Morse.
    I think the guys who break up words and run words together are the PITs ! Proper Spacing is really important to getting good copy at the other end.

3. K7EEX

K7EEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard this for the first time yesterday when I was listening in on a QSO. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what the one-second long tones meant. As a newbie, it was a bizarre habit to listen to.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

well, it sure makes it easier to send a lot of zeros. wish more ops would do so.

5. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I did something I've never had to do before, and that's tell someone I couldn't copy them due to spacing. I've heard bad code before but could always make out enough to get through it. This time I could not - felt bad that I had to tell them so, and say 73.

6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Under unfavorable seeing conditions, flashing light operators/Navy Signalmen tend to lengthen the code elements, especially the dahs. It wouldn't sound too good on CW, but it improves the throughput a whole bunch.

7. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I prefer CW to digital or SSB. I like to try and copy higher speed stuff sent perfectly by keyboard. I have done a lot of listening to W1AW in the past trying to learn "good" code. Sometimes I hear stuff I'd rather not try to copy and move on. Sometimes when I'm sending left handed it really doesn't sound that great, but how to get better without trying?
    There are good batters and poor batters. Pitchers. Quarterbacks. On and on, but what might happen if when bowling I approached a person and said "you really don't bowl very well!".
    Just move on.
    Jim K5TSK

WD0BCT and N8AFT like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Might want to skip the corrective actions next time friend.
    Just clear up and move on.

9. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, "as a new guy", you sure are the authority, aren't you?

N8AFT likes this.
  10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

For the old guy who considers himself the authority, you sure are a grump.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018