Drawn out dahs??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After warming up for SKN listening to electronic morse recordings it was a little difficult getting used to real people on straight keys!

2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

So I've noticed when I end a transmission with BK, the station I'm passing off to starts with a BK. Is that good protocol? BK TU

3. KD8ZM

I worked a lot of bug guys over the past several days (at 1 watt on my end mostly, lol) and had no real trouble understanding them. It's only the occasional swinger who is extreme, that I can't tolerate. There was only really one guy out of dozens of QSOs the past several days. He was a swinger but not only ran words together, but also ran his letters together - I literally couldn't tell what characters he was trying to send and did the 73 thing pretty quickly. Wanted to just tell him that he was too old to run a bug, so go back to something else and slow down! But I didn't, of course. That would be rude.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not just rude...but politically incorrect! What does age have to do with it?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's acceptable but kind of a waste of time.

If two stations are both QSK, I don't even bother with the BK at all. If the other guy sends a question or something for me to comment on, I just "break in" to his transmission and reply -- no BKs sent on either end.

Faster, more conversational.

But there's no problem going old-school.:)

N8AFT likes this.
  6. KD8ZM

Don't know about you, but it seems to affect everything. :)

7. N0MAP

N0MAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new cw op as well and I had no clue what was happening the first several times I had someone respond to a cq with the swing. I think it's made much worse when they're slowing way down for a beginner. SRI OM QSB NO CPY 73

KD8ZM likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know.....it's what I hear, and I'm the new guy. I'm just trying to fit in. :)

9. KD8ZM

I can't remember what the Q-code is for bad CW sending?

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful with the age profiling or generalizations, Brady. You probably don't want karma to bookmark that, only to come back around to inappropriately remind you of your own ... oh, say changing hair color or diminishing follicle count.

We're all aging at the same rate, at least chronologically, eh?

Recording that fellow's sending and forwarding with a helpful email or letter would prove far more effective than bailing out of the QSO and bellyaching about it here.

YO3GFH, W8ES and N8AFT like this.