ad: M2Ant-1

Drawn out dahs??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You got to relax and put a little swang in you sending baby. On that last daaaaaaaaaaaaaah wiggle the VFO to jazz up the beat note hi! Course if you running all modern stuff you can't play any rhythm. Happy New Year

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmmm.....all this time I thought they just had a southern twang.

3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I can usually tell, bc it's always a little out if control, or they tell me they're using one. Most people can use them well, but some are virtually unreadable to me. Not worth the strain! lol

W7UUU likes this.
  4. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to cw too, well I should say I'm "renewed" to cw, I passed my 13 test back in 95 but was away from hf for 15 yrs.
    But I don't blame the op who can copy way faster than I can and has been operating for decades. I blame my inexperienced ear, once I become profecient (I can copy abt 15wpm) I imagine I will also be able to copy all but the worst sending.
    In most cases, it's my copy that's the issue, not the sender. I respect the guys that have been doing this for decades, I hope to be one of them someday.

K5MPH and W8ES like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, The drawn-out T is what I'm using for Zero character, it's a 'cut number' so to speak and it is indeed vy common practice.
    I personally would rather hear drawn out dah's all day long than I would those habitually sending BK at the end instead of K and then another BK at beginning followed by an R. To me it's a bad habit but it's something we just have to put up with.
    All said and done a QSO you had to "suffer" through is still a better QSO than no QSO at all.
    Besides that, who knows the condition of the other sender? It may be a physical challenge to send 'right'.
    Take a walk in the other guy's shoes and run out some slack... I enjoy the hobby the least when I find myself being overly critical.;)

W8ES and K3XR like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Having spent the early years in the hobby with a bug and still do from time to time have no problem at all copying the longer "dah" a much more serious problem are the clowns that answer a CQ at a much higher speed than the station calling have no problem up to about 35 wpm but that's not where I like to operate prefer a slower pace find it best to just completely ignore the speed demons .

7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was new to me as well since I've been away from CW for a while. As I understand in, BK is used when passing control of the QSO to the other station without sending callsigns. It makes sense in a ragchew. You only need to ID every 10 minute, so there is no need to send call signs on every transmission. If there's a question in my mind as to whether it's been 10 minutes, when I get control I'll send BK DE N2SUB BT. It doesn't really seem like a bad habit. In a SSB conversation, most people don't ID every time they transmit (although I do thanks to my military training). In a QRS QSO, it can make a difference. ;)

N8AFT likes this.
  8. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also understand you.... At 71 I've put the bug aside... can't slow it down enough, even by adding a ton of solder to the weights...

9. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not the swingers I have a problem with, it's the folks who send whole words as though they were prosigns.
    Yes, at a certain speed we start hearing words instead of letters, but darnit there's supposed to be a space or thewholethingrunstogether.

VK3VAR, KB3VQU, N8AFT and 1 other person like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a squeeze key and iambic keying 95% of the time, but my keyer has the option to use the paddle in "semi-automatic" mode, making only the dits electronically and leaving it up to me to send the dahs however I feel like it: As such, it's a "bug" mode, but without any vibrating arm and weight.

I switch to that a day or so before I'm going to use my "real" bug (Vibroplex) if I know I'll be using that, to get me back in the rhythm required for semi-automatic keying.

That actually works!:)

K3XR likes this.