ad: portazero-1

Drake TR-7 Overview

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jun 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

drake tr-7 in shack.jpg

How the Drake TR-7 and Icom 7300 Changed Amateur Radio
    The Drake TR-7 and Icom 7300 changed Amateur Radio when they came out.
    TR-7 – Considered the first commercially available solid state HF Amateur radio on the market. 100% solid state circuits. No tubes, no tuning required and a digital display!
    IC-7300 – Considered by many the first entry level SDR transceiver with knobs. Includes a touchscreen LCD and real time spectrum scope where we see activity on the band!

Rich, K0PIR

WB5THT likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The TR-7 is much better looking and is worth more today as a complete package than a used 7300.

Carl

VK6APZ/SK2022 and K0PIR like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a TR-7A with many of the accessories and just picked up the keyer. Very nice radio.
    "TR-7 – Considered the first commercially available solid state HF Amateur radio on the market. 100% solid-state circuits. No tubes, no tuning required and a digital display!"
    Did not take time to do the research but was wondering how close Ten Tec came to making that claim?

K0PIR likes this.
  4. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I don't know. There was Swan too back in the late 70's. This Ham (WB4HFN) has a great TR-7 page.

73!

K3XR likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron, WB4HFN has done work for me on both my TR-7A and TR-4cw/rit.
    Found his work to be excellent and his prices fair. His site is very informative. If you are not aware there is a Drake net on Sunday afternoons on 7.238 1600 EST Ron frequently is the net control or otherwise checks into the net.

K0PIR likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I never had a TR-7 but did have a TR-6 for several years. Drake was a great company.

I did have a National NCX-5 MK2 with VX-501 Remote VFO, and AC and mobile PS. Built 6 and 2M transverters into an AC supply cabinet with a blank panel I bought super cheap cuz I worked there 1963-69:D The rest was on loan and I had to give it back:rolleyes:...it was mostly run mobile as I had a CE-100V and a highly modified 75A4 as the main rig along with a NCL-2000 prototype that cost $20:eek:. Still have and use all 3.

The 100V and A4 got parked for several years as they were no longer contest competitive and a pair of Drake C lines did fine until they became non competitive and were replaced by my first own HF transceiver, a used TS-930 in 1985 or so and another in 87 which morphed into a TS-940 and 930, then a pair of 940's and finally a TS-950SD and one of those 940's. Im seriously thinking about a single TS-890 as that is more than enough these days.

Carl
    Ham since 1955

K0PIR likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I have both - love both - use both.

Great radios!! Just different in so many ways

Dave
    W7UUU

KM1H and K0PIR like this.