Drake PS-7 testing

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9VOX, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9VOX

W9VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears my Drake PS-7 is not providing any DC output to my TR-7. I would like to isolate the PS-7 from the TR-7 and check the DC output. Does anyone know which connector pins should be jumpered to accomplish this?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It shows what to do in both the TR-7 and the PS-7 manuals; jumper pins 1 and 2 on the connector to simulate the on/off switch and turn it "on."

K3XR likes this.
  3. W9VOX

Thanks for the reply. I’ve confirmed that I have a power supply problem...less than 2 volts and it steadily drops off.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you know any 35A power supply can do this job, if you wire it up properly.

The "VOX" connection and "ALC" connection are both available at the rear panel, so the PS-7 wasn't doing anything magic.

It is a very rugged and reliable power supply, though, and failures are rare. I still have my original PS-7 that I bought with my TR-7 new back in 1978 and it's never failed...but one day, it will. Electrolytic capacitors dry out and fail, it's just a matter of time.

5. W9VOX

Looks like I will open it up and check the caps.