Drake 2-C preselector capacitor needed

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W4EDJ, Jun 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W4EDJ

W4EDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know where I might find Variable capacitor used in pre selector. A two gang 0-420 pf each section designated C4 and C9 . The one I have in set I bought is rusted beyond recognition! Part is listed in manual year 1970 for $3. Should I find one,I fear it might cost a tad more now. 2-C I bought on Ebay has beautiful front panel,but inside is terribly rusted , especially in area around C4/C9. Any help appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Orem Elliot Products (OEP) was the largest variable capacitor builder in the world,
    until Eastern Asian production expansion in 21st century.
    Many Asian manufacturers switched earlier designs to Metric.

OEP still the largest in the North America.
    They were a supplier to Heathkit and American Radio manufacturers.
    http://www.orenelliottproducts.com/

Oren Elliott Products, Inc.
    P.O. Box 638
    Edgerton, OH 43517
    PH: 419-298-2306 Fax: 419-298-3545
    e-mail: sales@orenelliottproducts.com
    ===
    Finding an “off the shelf” dual section 420 pF variable capacitor as a “drop in” for the Drake 2-C receiver (now 50+ years old) would be a stroke of luck.

The vacuum tube audiophiles and music industry contacted OEMs directly to have those parts made. Some Rotary, multi-section (wafer) switches exist today to their 1950s / 1960s usage in Electric guitars … and those artists/manufacturers re-starting production.

IF the Preselector air variable capacitor is “close” to a current production capacitor,
    THEN the price will reflect that minimization of custom work.
    OEP : Air Variable Capacitors
    http://www.orenelliottproducts.com/index-1.html

In the past, Orem has worked with Heathkit ARP enthusiasts to reproduce a better main tuning capacitor for the HW-8 QRP transceiver. They supplied air variable capacitors for many antenna tuners and HF amplifiers, before Ameritron and others began to import parts from Eastern Asia (China, elsewhere).

Custom Capacitors
    http://www.orenelliottproducts.com/custom-capacitors

0C927368-03FD-4FF2-9218-34E8E1663BD9.gif

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't give up on the original! Give evaporust a try! It's likely to remain pitted and you will probably have to disassemble it completely and reassemble it after soaking, being very careful to keep from bending plates. But I have seen folks perform miracles on badly rusted air-variables.
    --scott

KP4SX likes this.
  4. NV5P

NV5P Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use electrolysis to remove the rust. Rust will be removed but there will be some pitting as with any chemical process.
    For such a small part just use a DC wall wart or equal for a power source.
    You may want to practice on rusty nail or small part.
    There are many websites with detailed info.
    Use a light oil afterward to prevent rust.
    Rust removal by electrolysis (antique-engines.com)

5. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe check with WA4GZE, I have purchased 2B parts from him in the past.

JOSEPH S ZIMANDY
    13870 GREENTREE TRL
    WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33414-4021
    USA

Email: partsusa1@aol.com

6. W4EDJ

W4EDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks W1UO for this info. I did indeed get a beautiful preselector variable cap from Joe.
    In excellent condition, especially for 60 years or so old. It was more than I had hoped for.