Draft of the new ARRL By-Laws

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably the most important thing, in my opinion, is to defeat the Lisenco proposals. These are the changes that would give votes to several officers who are not elected by the membership: President and Vice-Presidents. Just to avoid confusion, it bears repeating that these are not paid officers, but are volunteer/unpaid officers. The problem being that they are not directly elected by the membership, and thus are not charged with representing the membership, as are all the Directors.

The "new" Lisenco proposal, here Lisenco AABL proposed amendments.html, has been modified from the first version that was posted a couple weeks ago. It's worded a little more subtly now, but Motion #3 would have the same effect.

The motion will pass if 2/3 of the directors (10 directors) vote in favor of it. We need at least 5 Directors to vote against it. I have reason to believe that at least some of the Directors will vote against this. It is important for everyone to contact their Directors and ask that they vote against Lisenco.

Also, I think everyone should support the Carlson motion, Carlson Motion 1.pdf, which would clarify the language of the so-called "Code of Conduct" to remove some of the wording problems that have led people to (incorrectly) believe that it was a "gag order" on your Directors ability to talk to Members. SO, again, contact your Directors and ask them to support Carlson Motion 1.

Then there's all the Norris-EC proposals. See the links on http://www.central.arrl.org that W3WN posted early this morning. There's a lot there. A lot of it adds sections to the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws that should have been there all along. But in my assessment, there's nothing that would substantively change the relationship between Directors and the Members in their divisions. A couple of the proposals will be controversial, but I believe they are not all universally supported by all the Directors. I'd suggest reading them carefully, or at least the "Rationale" paragraph at the end of each of the proposals, and if you have an opinion either way, by all means send a (polite) email to your Director expressing your opposition or support.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even if you're one of the most rabid anti-ARRL conspiracy theorists, it's unlikely that ALL of the Directors are corrupted or turned into Zombies by the Evil CEO. Maybe your Director is one of the good ones, maybe even can think for themselves, and genuinely want to do the right things. The only way to find out is to communicate with them. The worst that can happen is that they blow you off. You have nothing to lose.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know not as impressive as you, an officer in the Greater Pittsburgh DX Association.
    I was in the U. S. military, but I was not an officer like you, I merely had three stripes.

4. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The big problem is, the Actions of the Board (well technically the "Ethics" Committee") have created a reality where the Board itself decides who will be on it. Defenders of that can come up with a million deflective defenses of that, but the bottom line is, they've decided they just had enough of dealing with members who won't "Fall into Line." That is why I have little hope of accomplishing anything with this crew. I don't know why/how they got this reactive, or what in the world made them think folks would be ok with that, but, the bottom line is, that ability needs to be stripped. To the extent any ByLaw changes help in accomplishing that, great, to the extent they maintain that ability, bad. The rest is just noise. I wish I had known what was going on when K4AC and K3RF were disqualified (because, wth pays attention to ARRL politics). I would have done whatever was possible to get an immediate temporary restraining order, and get a legal team together. Should they pull this nonsense on N6AA, I will do so. The Legal people the League employs right now are idiots, that is from inside knowledge (saying that probably disqualifies me for running for Office, but ...c'est la vie.) The one thing the BOD/Gallagher have right is, they are scared silly about liability issues. They have good reason to be. They are so far in over their head that they can't even see the surface. For some reason I can't fathom, their ARRL positions are so important to them, and admitting failure so painful that they've lost grasp of basic ethics. I guess for some, being a Division Director is the high point of their existence. Not evil, sad.

ND6M likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly correct, That is what I also said a few days ago.

ALL the "power" in the ARRL will belong to the "ETHICS " Committee.

WHY is this necessary unless that committee is determined to USE that power to enforce this GAG order?

If you don't kiss up to the committee, then they simply "disqualify" you.

Sit down, shut up, and vote yes,........ or else.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, considering the election schedule, it would only take 2 years to have a majority of the directors votes.