Draft of the new ARRL By-Laws

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like in national politics. A lot of people piss 'n moan about the government down at the bar or at home while their tee-vee is droning non-stop in the background, but a smaller percentage actually get out and vote on election day, and only a minuscule percentage actually bother to float petitions or phone or e-mail their senators and representatives over issues of concern.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you make me feel like an elite 1%'er. ;)

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jamie WW3S posted to the CQ-Contest reflector a link to a CQ Newsroom post, that indicates that the Board (as a whole) has reconsidered their position on many of the proposed changes. See: https://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2018/01/update-arrl-revises-proposed-changes-to.html

That post, in turns, points to the website of the ARRL Central Division (9 land), and the current post from Central Division Director Kermit W9XA. He goes into detail on what's been going on. See: http://www.central.arrl.org/ . It's worth the read.

So, two things:

1. At least SOME of the Division Directors ARE listening to the membership, and/or the emails that they are being sent.
    2. Even though things are looking better, if you haven't written your Director yet (even if you are not currently an ARRL member), do so in the next few days. The Board meets on the 19th. And you have to allow a day or two for travel etc. So while it's not too late, there's not much time left.

The pressure appears to be working. Don't let up.

NN4RH likes this.
  4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The FUD, you mean.

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Give it a rest already unless you're willing to point out actual instances of FUD pertaining to the topic.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for posting that. Now rather than dealing with "leaked drafts" of unknown parentage, some with alarming language and lacking context, we have something that appears to be an official release of the final and complete proposals to be considered by the Board. .

I just spent the past several hours going through each and every little nitpicking detail in the proposals, and sent an email to my Division Director detailing which I support, which I oppose, and which I have no concerns either way.

I would encourage everyone to read these things, and exercise their right and responsibility as ARRL Members and communicate, in an adult manner, to their Directors what they think about these proposals.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And to try to promote some cogent discussion, instead of the hysterical frenzy we've been seeing the past couple weeks, here is a summary of what I sent to my Director:

Lisenco Proposals: Lisenco AABL proposed amendments.html OPPOSE IN IT'S ENTIRETY

Carlson Proposals: Carlson Motion 1.pdf SUPPORT IN IT'S ENTIRETY

Norris-EC Proposals: See listing of individual documents here: http://www.central.arrl.org

Changes to Articles of Incorporation Articles 12, 15, 16 - No concerns either way
    Changes to Bylaws 2, 5,6,7, 11, 12, 13, 15,16, 24, 31-36, 37-40, 42 - No concerns either way.

Change to Bylaw 4 (allowing Board to set dues periodically without Bylaw amendment) - SUPPORT
    Change to Bylaw 5 (eliminating perpetual life memberships after death) - SUPPORT
    New Bylaw 45 (Dispute resolution by arbitration) - SUPPORT

Changes to Bylaws 14, 17, 18-23, 41 - "I DO NOT OPPOSE" but either had some questions, or concerns about possible unintended consequences

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Another “Gym-Teacher” type.

Let me be very clear what MY goal in all of this mess is, since either you missed it or are ignoring it in favor of snarkiness,

I do not like the way some of the recent past changes (such as the updated Code of Conduct last January) have been implemented, and that these proposed changes were being handled. I do not like the way that certain members of the Board clearly did not see the need to “bother” the membership with any significant information on these proposals — even if technically they did not have to, IMHO, they should have. And especially do not care for the attitude of certain League appointed management types, a topic of which there is already another ongoing thread.

But none of that is actually important. It doesn’t matter what I think. It matters what EVERYONE thinks.

The important thing is that the Board members need to hear from us. They are supposed to represent us. They are supposed to collectively work in the best interests of the Membership. And clearly some of them are more interested in their titles and such than in doing the jobs that they were elected to.

Which is why WE need to TELL THEM what we think. The good ones, I’m not worried about, but they still need to know what we’re thinking. The not so good ones, they need to know that we’re on to them, and that this type of nonsense will not be tolerated.

It is that simple.

And those Directors who won’t listen to the Membership? Well, they need to go, but that’s another topic for another thread.

Now... you can continue to kvetch and be snarky all you want here. Or you can actually do something. Your choice.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm honestly not understanding where you are getting this impression. The groups who disagree with the proposed by-law changes are far from malcontents. They include Maxim Society members, Life members, Diamond Club members, etc.

Read the letter from the Potomac Valley Radio Club - to wit: "The vast majority of its members are ARRL members, and many are Life, Diamond, Maxim Club or Legacy members as well. Importantly, our members are active in almost every area of amateur radio. Moreover, a number of our members have been presidents, vice presidents, directors and vice directors of ARRL."

And also note the statement that: "for the very first time, PVRC is compelled to express its profound concern in the wake of actions and proposals by ARRL officers and directors that we strongly believe are detrimental to Amateur Radio and thus to the interests of PVRC members."

This is not a group that is prone to agitation or rabble rousing. But when you get this type of response from an influential club (yes, I was the president of it for two years), you have got to pause and think whether the proposed by-law revisions are "business as usual" or something that should raise concerns in a membership organization.

I would submit that the letter of PVRC (and YCCC, and FCG, and WWDXC, and FRC, and CTDXC, and others) demonstrates that there are very valid concerns.

10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just shy of 1200 members in fact, right? :)

I agree, this wasn't just a handful of malcontents. This was an outpouring...and to the extent that the ship is righted, it may actually strengthen the ARRL in the long run. A strong organization will usually have a structure that can be trusted to withstand such tests...but ONLY if the populace speaks. They did.

This reminds me of my local city government, where they years ago the council proposed a plan for a natural gas pipeline to go through a wooded area near a neighborhood. Residents were almost unanimously against this...and at the monthly town hall, they lined up to voice their opinion. Everyone gave different reasons, but all were opposed. The council sat quietly.

The last speaker was a young girl, maybe 14 or so. She had leg braces and crutches, obviously a permanent condition. She directly addressed the mayor. "We met last summer at a fund raising event, and you were very helpful and kind. At that event, you may recall, you reached out to me and said 'if there's anything you ever need'... well, I'm here because I have a need. I need you to not put the line through the wooded area."

They did not. They discussed with residents and an alternate solution was found.

I have some faith in this in this ARRL thing.