Draft of the new ARRL By-Laws

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of us who really want to know what is being voted on in the ARRL meeting, here's a copy of the marked up By-Laws and Articles of Association so you can see what's being added, what's being stricken, and what's been changed. It is VERY LONG, but if you really want to be able to back up your objections to your director, I encourage you to read what they will be voting on.

The one thing that jumped out at me was from Appendix B:

"The duty of loyalty means that the Board member must act in the best interests of the corporation and its mission, rather than in the Board member’s own interest or in the interest of another person or entity."

They will be voting on whether to add that gem to the By-Laws, meaning it could be the directors' last chance to vote in the interests of their constituency. It's worth taking the time to see what all the buzz is about.

Attached Files:

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

imagine how easily members could communicate with each other if the arrl had its own web site.
    K2XT and KK5JY like this.
  3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very common language and is seen all over the place. The fact that people are running around with their hair on fire over simple business law concepts is...interesting.
    N9LOX, W8IXI and N0TZU like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of things that are common and seen all over the place. That doesn't mean such things are automatically useful, helpful, right, proper, wise, profitable, or even lawful.
    K5BBC and KY5U like this.
  5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What's interesting is the "loyalty to the best interests of the corporation and it's mission.....rather than the interest to another person or entity". So it can be interpreted as NOT
    being loyal to the membership and their views.....more sit down and shut up 'cuz we're doing this regardless.

The proposal for a new entry level license is supposed to be on the agenda for this session but since that hasn't been posted yet I guess we'll have to wait until the minutes go up.
    K4KYV likes this.
  6. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I urge you to read the documents. This is part of the introduction to a lengthy, NEW section. See Appendix A.

The obvious difference is that the members of the BoD in a business are not elected by a constituency.

The ARRL Board was set up to be representative of the membership. If Appendix A is adopted, the CEO, President, Vice President, positions that are not elected by the membership, a vote, and presumably the are voting "In the best interest of the corporation". That means that if a director votes contrary to the unelected members, they will be in violation of the Code of Conduct, can be censured without a hearing, removed from office with a hearing and vote of the board, or just ejected from the League all together. The wording essentially cuts the directors right to vote on behalf of his membership away.

Maybe that means nothing to you, but I expect an elected director to be able to vote in the interest of the people who elected him/her. I'd also expect to know how they voted so that if I do not agree I can vote them out during the next election cycle. Both of these rights will be taken away.

Please read the documents or you will not get the full impact of the changes as a whole. This is not a standard business, it's a non-profit corporation that we are funding. We should have some say in how the money is used.
    K0IDT and ND6M like this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Current policy:
    "Each director shall keep himself informed as to the conditions and, activities in his territorial division and as to the, needs and desires of the members therein in order that he may faithfully and intelligently represent the true interests of such members."

Proposed policy:
    "In order to faithfully and intelligently represent the interests of Division members, a Director shall keep informed as to conditions, activities, needs and desires of members."

Notice the bias against the "true interests" of the dues paying members being "faithfully and intelligently" represented. The ARRL knows what the "True interests" are and the rest us don't.

The ARRL leadership has clearly drawn a line between themselves and "joe 6 pack".

After reading the entire document, it becomes clear the the true power in the ARRL will be the Ethics and Elections Committee.

That committee will have the authority to make and/or decide the outcome of any issue.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, that is exactly how the boards of business corporations are elected - by the votes of the shareholders who are the constituency.

The ARRL is in fact a corporation, but has members, instead of stockholders, who elect the board.
    WU8Y and NN4RH like this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... also known as a "Non-Stock Corporation".
    N2SUB and N0TZU like this.