ad: portazero-1

Dr. Ulrich Rohde: Electrically Short Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB4OJ/SK2024, Dec 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1UL

N1UL QRZ Lifetime Member #303 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for asking, you opened a Pandora box Most explanation are what I would call lying by omission.

The conventional receiver with a high first IF of
    45 MHz or so is limited outside the first IF bandwidth by the mixer ( IP3 typically 40 dBm ) and the synthesizer noise. And the 45 MHz Filter IMD, if monolithic pretty bad.
    Th input filters protect against second oder Image products, the third order IMD because of the very close spacing like a few KHz can not be improved, here the performance of mixer, amplifier and oscillator determine all ( In band intermodulation ).
    The high end dual conversion transceiver are pretty much all state of the art and expensive.

In contrary the fully digital receivers using analog/ digital converters and they integrate power. In 1 Mhz bandwidth one million signals of 1 uV result in 1 V vector added voltage and will totals overload the A/D based receiver while the conventional analog receiver will not be impressed and all will be good.

This should be a technical discussion by its own
    and many may not like an honest answer.

The best Version is a hybrid RX with the A/D Filter after first VHF crystal fiter.

W5ZZ, S58DX, KO4LZ and 4 others like this.
  2. N1UL

You are absolutely correct !

73 de Ulrich

KR3DX likes this.
  3. PY2RAF

PY2RAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo.

Thank Dr. Karl and Dr. Rohde for the enlightenment.

Kind of a Christmas gift; much appreciated.

WZ4K and N0TZU like this.
  4. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have experienced "overload" on my IC 7300 at least once, at night, on 40 meters, with all the Chinese broadcasters crashing in, besides hams. Full sized dipole. I don't have any large gain antennas for the ham bands. The issue with 40 meters was alleviated by turning the RF gain just slightly to the left. Turning that, and mic gain down, is a difficult task for many of us!

S58DX, WD4ELG, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  5. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For many of us, AB4OJ is a pretty well known ham. His rig performance tests are epic.

https://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7300/7300notes.pdf

https://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7610/7610notes.pdf

W0PV, K8VHL and KR3DX like this.
  6. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to Dr. Rohde and SM0AOM.
    It's always ultra interesting to read dr. Rohde on HF receivers.
    And now with this wide diffusion of SDR receivers and transceivers we need really know if they will work well in a new solar maximum in 5 years.
    I am the satisfied enought owner of an Elecraft K3S, with an analogue front end before the sdr, and dont thing for now to change my rig for a pure SDR. I will wait and see/listen...
    Dr. Rohde, it would be a great thing an amateur radio transceiver from Rohde Schwartz, could we dream about it? ;)
    73 and hny, Ian IK4EWX

KR3DX, N0TZU and PY2RAF like this.
  7. N1UL

If I am allowed I would like to point out that some of the A/D preamplifier are not linear, reducing the gain may shift the distortion to the preamp, see Dualgate FETS , very pronounced.

I really wanted to touch the antenna issues here and not slide in a different topic as there is no very complete publications on active antennas.

I have a recent RX book with McGraw Hill that will guide you through the RX options.

73 de Ulrich

KO4LZ, KR3DX, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1UL

interesting topic. Collins burned their fingers with such a project. The R&S tactical radios use hi rel components, too expensive for the ham market.
    My XK 2100 L is now used for 25 years trouble free but without a panoramic display the hams wouldn’t want it. Great transceiver though.
    For QRP I use the M3TR, the 705 was not on the market then
    Thanks, Ulrich

9. N1UL

upload_2020-12-25_18-22-22.jpeg

Here you find almost all the answers....
    Have fun

DM2VV and KO4LZ like this.
  10. K3MEJ

K3MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't ask for apology!

11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

12. AB4OJ/SK2024

AB4OJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

WD4ELG, KR3DX, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  13. AK3Y

AK3Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Happy holidays, Dr. Rohde. Always nice to work you on the bands. Best 73, Bob AK3Y

14. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting article. Thanks for that, Dr. Rohde. I have been wanting to build an active antenna for a long time, there are a lot of designs to be found on the internet. But reading this, I begin to think that none of the designs I have seen to far, live up to the requirements depicted in this document. A supply voltage of 50V to reach the required IP3 levels.. wow. I wonder if any designs are available in the 'public domain' that do meets these requirements. I'd certainly be interested in one to build.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  15. N1UL

Good morning,

on a battleship with both aktive transmitters and receivers this dynamic range is a necessity and only since LD-MOS transistors are available and GaN Transistors it is possible to build such systems.
    With no co-site operation most of the 24 V aktive Antennas are ok.

I am more afraid what will happen if the sun activity will be back full force.

The big mistake in selecting radios happens if the decision is price driven and not performance driven and the system must operate under high electric field field conditions. This to a high extends applies to a contest station.
    Tough choices

Take a look at VE2AED’s Station or website. Thanks amongst the best well thought out places.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    KR3DX likes this.