Double Din with ShortWave

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by VK4GAP, Jul 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all , i have just finished bashing the keyboard for at least 4 or 6 hours looking for a double din car radio/stereo with shortwave and as i need this laptop and in desperation i thought i'd post here .

1st a rant , imo the interweb has gone completely crazy these days with those sellers of audio gear whether on the bay or other places , even top brand names , in the spec sheets on the interweb advert they say SW = yes , but no stupid actual frequency's listed , what sort of a "spec sheet" is that ! , download the user manual {it's gotta be in there} and the same stupid thing , and some when they say AM band there is no top limit listed (like 1611 or 1710 KHz) , they obviously don't want to sell anything! , rant over .

Anyway , no need for stupid navigation , or a stupid remote control , or stupid Bluetooth , no stupid CD player , no stupid mpg feature or phone connection or #@$%!^&% video playback , or stupid anything else EXCEPT for Shortwave and maybe LongWave and AM up to 1710 KHz and FM , all that other useless stupid "extra" stuff can stay in the bin , what a lot of garbage , what happend to "just" a radio! (looking at this seems like the rant is actually not over yet) .

So anyone seen or know of a Double Din size normal car radio with Shortwave ? as i'm after one .

Try not to make it obvious that there is not one , that might be obvious , i'm asking if anyone has seen one capich .

Paul . , stupid technology .....

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Blaupunkt used to make one. Looks like finding one has been an issue with folks for at least 10 years. Might scare up one on FleaBay.

Looks like Sony and Pioneer made a single DIN unit as of a couple of years ago -- but they are very modern.

VK4GAP likes this.
  3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solutions: Gonset Shortwave Converters, for your AM BCB car radio...

Gonset Super Six
    [​IMG]

Super 12
    [​IMG]

VK4GAP likes this.
  4. VK4GAP

Currently (but i have pulled it out single DIN) i have a Supposedly JVC/Kenwood with shortwave , it's deaf as a post , cheap and nasty buttons that all double bounce , mp3/usb Bluetooth and all that rubbish and it's rubbish! and that's where it is going .

5. VK4GAP

If that measures 120mm x 185mm that'll fit in the dash , it'd look good too .

6. VK4GAP

I'll swap the MP3/USB feature for a ANL button
    I'll swap the Blutooth/phone feature for a NB button
    I'll swap the CD player feature for a Wide/Narrow button
    I'll swap the Remote control feature for a Pre-amp button
    I'll swap the WIFi feature for a Band button
    I'll swap the Navigation for a Zero button

Cost savings = HEAPS , Features = LESS , Better = YOU BET!

Trendy Technical Garbage .

Paul .

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just stick an FT-817 in there and call it good. Should be about DIN size.

VK4GAP likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

KL4BT, VK4GAP and N0TZU like this.
  9. VK4GAP

I'm not allowed to have a Y in the Vehicle , to toyish imo .

10. VK4GAP

KC8VWM likes this.