DOS. Anybody still use it?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WN2SQC, Nov 9, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

While MS-DOS 3.3 was released in 1987, there was not (in reality) much improvement over DOS 3.2, so many of us didn't bother to upgrade if we didn't see the "new" features useful. The only real improvement (to many) was not until Win 6.0, which I did have (I just can't remember if it was purchased outright, or inherited) in the original 3.5" disk format; I later updated that to Win 6, then Win 6.22. I ran DOS 6.22 (with supplemental additions) with Win 3.1/WfWG 3.11 until Win 95 came out (as an upgrade.) That eventually became Win 98. The K6-2/450 processor and the motherboard's maximum of only 768 kB of memory made it unthinkable to upgrade to XP.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

DOS 3.2 was a great version. It was stable, and had very few bugs. Plus BASICA was a good interpreter for programming. A lot of us grew up on on it. I still have an original set of disks, on both 3.5 and 5.25 floppies.... and a set of working copies.

I like DOS 5.0 better.... but 3.2 was good for it's day

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I probably had them all, at one time or another (except perhaps, DOS 4.0?)
    I was using DOS 3.2 when I got a laptop that had DOS 3.3; i didn't see any (notable ) difference, so I didn't updgrade the desktop. I DID "buy" a 486DX50 machine, but it was put together with commercial "off the shelf" parts to my specs, no proprietary parts, and it came with DOS 5.0, and Win 3.1 (The software was the REAL software (not OEM only;" and the disks were provided with the computer.) It wasn't until DOS 6.0 that I changed my desktop, and that became DOS 6.22, with WfWG 3.11.