DOS. Anybody still use it?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WN2SQC, Nov 9, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. I came across a lot of dead batteries in the late 90s and they all booted, albeit with an incorrect date and time. I forget the manufacturer now, maybe Gateway 2000, but we had system after system come in with failed batteries after 2 years of use. Whatever the manufacturer was, I'm glad we didn't sell them.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

TWO years:eek: is (IMHO, at least) WAY too short a time for CMOS battery failure. While I believe that computer company (Gateway) no longer exists, they must have gotten a REALLY bad:( batch of batteries. I would typically see CMOS battery failure in 5-10 years, but after replacement (provided leakage has NOT occurred) they all booted and could be could be "recovered." Unfortunately, that was usually AFTER the "warrantee" had expired, so the computer owner was responsible for the replacement. (MUCH more common was capacitor leakage, from which recovery was either impossible, or impractical, and too expensive.) Some people replace their computer with a new model before the CMOS battery fails, some don't. (And some of us hang on to the old one in addition to a new computer...:rolleyes:) My ("current?") Win '98 machine (K6-2/450) originally ran MS-DOS 3.2, then MS-DOS 6.22 and Office (Word, Excel, Access, etc.) for DOS; then Windows 3.1, with several more software upgrades along the way.)

3. KQ8W

It was definitely a bad part and it seemed to affect one manufacturer. It may have been a different company; it's been to long to recall accurately. I only recall us purchasing batteries in larger quantities.

4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you mean "sync; sync; init 0" .....

5. WA9SVD

While I doubt the company in question had bad intentions, and did indeed, get a batch of really bad batteries (which was "sort of" beyond their control, just as many manufacturers unknowingly used "bad" capacitors prone to early failure and leakage ) some less reputable manufacturers have made products BY DESIGN to make frequent battery replacement nigh unto impossible, so their tech's have "job security." (Cynical, but true.)

6. KQ8W

Not the same results. sync would push the dirty buffers to disk, while park moves the disk head to a region where no data exists, so the head doesn't rest there when powered down.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a ST-251 40 meg IDE drive with Auto Park. About $300 when they first came out. 2 platters was the berries in the day.

The Auto Park feature was the first thing that failed, Because it would get stuck in the parked position.

8. WA9SVD

Gee. I remember when "park" was where we went to watch;) the "submarine races...:rolleyes:"

9. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

MS-DOS 3.2? I bought my first PC off a local ham--home built clone--in the summer of 1989 and it had PC-DOS 3.3. In the spring of 1991 MS-DOS 5.0 was released and I bought a copy then. MS-DOS 6.0 was released a few years later. It seems to me an AMD K6-s would have had one of the later versions.

The best thing to ever happen to DOS was the 4DOS command interpreter which I later learned borrowed a lot of ideas from various Unix shells.

10. WA9SVD

I built the 'puter myself, and originally used what I first had on hand to start with. (DOS 3.3 might have been available by then, but I didn't have it available.) Other than a couple of laptops, (and three self-built computers, as well as a couple more for clients in-between) the first (and LAST) time I bought an assembled computer (I won't mention the "D*LL brand name here) with pre-installed OS (Windows 10) was 2019. If I out-live the current computer pre-built machine, my next computer WILL be self-built! (there are STILL some files on the name brand computer that have "access denied," and the manufacturer won't divulge the password needed to unlock those files, because they claim "they don't want users to mess up THEIR computer." I have to ask, just who really OWNS my computer with that statement? They WILL, of course, remotely "adjust" your computer for $100 per incident. (Sounds like extortion, to me.) I wouldn't have that problem if I built the computer and installed the OS myself.