Don't Do This To Your XYL !! ~ Ham Estate Planning

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W2BBQ, Sep 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi gang, I'm sure such an article has been posted here before but it bears repeating periodically. As you begin to get older, perhaps with significant health issues - I would urge you to begin liquidating the bulk of your ham shack and other "guy toys" well before you are physically unable to do it yourself anymore. (Most) XYL's aren't hams or have technical knowledge of your toys, tools and hobby equipment. You may also not have a son or daughter nearby who has a good knowledge of the things.
    I have had the experience of liquidating the estates of two local guys for the benefit of their XYL's in the last 10 years. Both of these occurrences were by pre-arrangement and I agreed to do this for these friends - but was mildly irritated that they just didn't do it themselves while they were still able. Even if you still talk on and enjoy your shack right up towards the end - you could still sell or give away all the extras you've accumulated while keeping a minimal station behind.
    There's additional considerations like if you're the single owner/operator of a repeater system - for gosh sakes designate a local friend to take it over for you after you're gone complete with all the access ability and equipment paperwork like Repeater Controller Manuals/Instructions.
    Doing nothing and keeping all your stuff will become a terrible burden to your XYL or someone else to has to liquidate your gear - worst senario is your XYL or children just don't want to deal with and actually throw your stuff away to the landfill .... this has happened !!! Such a waste !!! Don't let this happen to your good gear !!!

K1LKP, W5BIB, KG5THG and 2 others like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So are you saying that you should plan on becoming a SK ? o_O

3. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't Everybody?

WA8FOZ, N0TZU, W4LJ and 2 others like this.
  4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Everyone goes SK. Smart people plan for it.

I know one ham who reads the Obituary in several surrounding cities. He looks for the SK's, and offers to relieve the survivors of the burden of getting rid of all that junk the wife hates and cannot wait to get rid of. Made a nice retirement job for him and makes a tidy profit.

NG0L likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The Swedish people have something they call "dostadning" (not sure that's the correct spelling) that is basically exactly what you're suggesting. It's a good idea.

N0TZU and W2BBQ like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

All too often, the radio stuff just gets dumpstered because:

- the family doesn't know what to do with it

- the family is overwhelmed by everything else

- the family is under time pressure to sell the house, etc.

WA8FOZ, N2SR, N5AF and 2 others like this.
  7. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Couldn't agree more. Local ham, a ww2 vet, in my town, our club assisted a lot in the last 2 years if his life. I got to know the gentleman and his wife and became friends with them. I'd go to his house and assist with helping him get things working in his station and other minor things.
    When he passed I honored his wishes to assist in selling his equipment and giving his wife all the proceeds from the sale.

I refused to profit from this endeavor and in the end to see the gratitude from his wife when I handed the cash over will be a memory I will for ever remember. It allowed her to take care of some home repairs.

Not many are so lucky, and the ham vultures come out looking for a quick profit or it gets dumped. If you don't want that to happen, find a new home for it now before you can't do it yourself.

N5AL, KD2ACO, KK9W and 3 others like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess so.

I am having a problem of what date to set.

AJ6KZ, N5AF and WR2E like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great!

But even the "vultures" sometimes perform a service. All too often, the alternative is 1-800-GOT-JUNK, and the family winds up spending money to have the stuff hauled away.

Remember that often time is the driving factor. Every day a house full of stuff with nobody in it is being cleaned out is lost money because of taxes, insurance, utilities, etc.

I don't know about other places, but around here the best time to put a house on the market is early spring. That's because most people want to move over the summer. Missing that time window isn't the way to a fast sale at the best price.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    N2SR likes this.
  10. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Set a goal. I'm aiming for 6-15-2067 and plan to do everything in my power to get there. (100 for me)

All of my grandparents made it to their mid-90's. My mother is in her 70s and still riding her motorcycle(s) cross-country.

I figure 100 is a worthy target to strive for. That gives me a few years to become a curmudgeon on 75 meters. :D

N1VAU, KK9W and KA9JLM like this.