ad: ProAudio-1

Donation's Needed For High School Radio Club

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4EU, Oct 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

My name is Alexander and I am the president of the Springstead High School Radio Club {KG4VJS} which is located in Hernando County Florida. My club is currently looking for any and all donations, whether it is money, radios {working and non working} antennas... anything that can be used to set up a station.

The club is not being funded by the school and we need to get all types of equipment. I can have the school write a letter that you did donate something {for tax reason's} if you require it. I have sparked intrest in a lot of my peer's my operating my HT at lunch and at the end of the day so I started a club, now that the club is started we need equipment, HF-UHF.

I don't know if anybody is familiar with this area, but there is nothing for a teenager to do in this area. It is what I call "Hicksville", this area is getting built up fast {to fast} but the youth is not in mind, we have nothing to do after school except get in troube {I try my best to stay out of trouble} and by setting up a nice club so we can stay out of trouble and hopefully get some fresh blood into the hobby and keep it going for another generation.

In closing I would like to quote one of my teachers "You {the youth} are the future of America, you may be the next president, the doctor that saves my life... it is up to you people to keep America going, to keep our legacy going. It is up to us {the adults} to do our best to prepare you and give you the right tools to do that" so we will be the people keeping this hobby alive for future generation's {who know's onw of us may find a new mode of operation's?}.

We need the proper tool's to do so, so if you have something, anything even if it is just a used PL-259 connector, we would really appreciate it!!! Thanks so much for you'r time and 73!

Alexander KG4OGN 73!

flacap_342@msn.com

2. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I might have a thing or two to send your way but please add your address to your post, some folks won't figure out to run the call sign for the address

tom N6AJR

3. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    The school's address is: Springstead High School, 3300 Mariner BLVD. Spring Hill Fl. 34609. The address is also listed under KG4VJS if you want to find it on the website, and thank's a lot Tom, it is greatly appreciated!
    Alexander KG4OGN 73!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

At the very worst, this is a very worthy cause. I have donated/loaned a TS-440 and tuner to a local school. Beleveme, they are very appreciative. The school sponsors have recently received donations of a tower and antenna. My efforts will be rewared by hearing new hams on the frequecies. I WILL ELMER. BB, K5HDG

5. WQ9U

WQ9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Its really cool that you've been able to start your club at school. I'd like to do one here, but I'm not sure theres much interest.

About how many people do you have in your club, may I ask?

6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MAB2003 @ Oct. 20 2002,22:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey kg4ogn this kg6ktz im the president of an ham club in san diego and i cnat believe you are not getting alot of donations we get tons here some stuff we dont need and some stuff that costs a fortune if you need any thing specific ask me and ill tell you what i can do my e-mail is kg6ktz@amsat.org and could i ask you a favor go to www.hamquick.com and go to the forum and logg in its my friends site ad6xs and im trying to promote it well thanx and if you need anythin jsut e-mail me and ill see what i can do  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A school club? Like in "readin', writin' and 'rithmetic?"

Ed

7. N0PV

N0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I must admit I did not read thru all the posts however the ones I did skim did not mention the ARRL Big Project.  This is a program where schools are able to receive grants for using Amateur Radio in the classroom.  

ARRL "Big Project"

I would suggest that you contact Jerry Hill, KH6HU at the ARRL the phone number there is 860-594-0200 or email kh6hu@arrl.org

Your Section Manager may also be of some help.  I believe that would be:

David M. Armbrust, AE4MR
    ae4mr@arrl.org

Hope this helps.  This is a great project and people are really getting behind it.  They are looking at adding another 30 or so schools in the next round of funding.

Rich Beebe, N0PV

8. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All,
    I have heard of the ARRL big project, have the paperwork sitting in my bookbag for our sponser to fill out. Will check with my english teacher about the apostrophe thing {also is there an e after fun and does fun have 2 n's? I have about 30 plus people signed up, about 5 of which are really involved and wanting to get their radio license. Yes a school club as in reading arithmetic and writing... I will visit that website you are trying to promote. No we have not been getting a lot of donation's an HF rig or even a dualband rig would help a lot! I don't know about the Cybiko palm thing's {I want everyone in the club to at least hold a tech class license and a 2 meter HT, and if anyone has money after that, well it is up to them} You never know if you'r club will be good or not until you try, what do you have to loose? I thought I would get jumped for being a "radio nerd" but most of the people are likeing the idea of the autopatch and DX communication's {a lot of people in my school are bilingual and from diffrent countries so if they can talk back to their home country it really excites them} I think that is everything thus far, so I will say thank's a lot and 73!
    Alexander KG4OGN 73!
    flacap_342@msn.com

9. KB3IRL

KB3IRL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's good to hear that you are starting a HAM Radio Club at your school. I would not have heard of HAM radio If it was not for my schools club (K3NHC). Have you talked to your school about possibly doing something the school needs to acquire money for your new club. Our club runs the score board graphics at our stadium for funding from the school. I wish a very plentiful harvest of students as our club had from inception in 1996 to currently having 16 Licensed Members and 19 Associate Members who are studying for their licenses

10. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    I have {to an extent} checked with the school about diffrent things we could do to raise money, it will have to be out of school though as the school is over overcrowded and under funded. So I am presently looking into fun raising ideas {I know with Wal-Mart if you want to do a carwash they will provide the hose and water and at the end of the day they will double whatever you made, so if you make $100.00 Walmart will give you another $100.00 so you will have $200.00} So I am looking into fund raising {I don't think we will make enough to get a decent HF rig though, but I will keep trying diffrent approaches and see what happen's. Thanks and 73!
    Alexander KG4OGN 73!

11. W1LKE

W1LKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Decent HF rig? Don't sell the older rigs short. they may not have the automatic tuners, may not be digital, etc., but they have served many a ham for years. you talked about all of your members getting 2m HTs. Do you have a repeater in your area, or are you interested in putting your own repeater in service? Contact your local comercial (Motorola, Kenwood, Midland, etc.) dealers nad see if they can provide you with gear that is obsolete for them. Remember, alot of the repeaters out there in ham service are made from GE MASTR II mobile rigs. I am going to be cleaning out my garage next week, I hope, and will see what I can find. 73.

CHRIS W1LKE
    Jonesboro, Georgia

12. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris,
    Yes to both of you'r question's, there are a few 2m repeaters in the area, and we are very intrested in putting up a 2m repeater, have been toying with diffrent ideas of how that can be done and things like that but yes we do want to put up a repeater.
    Alexander

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Close Call (KG4VJR vs. KG4VJS) !

73, Ken Stovesand
    KG4VJR

14. AA4IH

AA4IH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MattBeers @ Oct. 20 2002,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alexander,

Way cool that you got the club started.  Way cool that you got faculty support, too (I assume Mr. Knowlton is faculty), because that means the club will continue after you graduate.

A few comments have been made here that work well.  Also try this:

Let ALL the ham radio stores in Florida know that you're looking for donations.  And, go through the "club" section of the ARRL website, looking for clubs that are proximate to your city.  Go to their meetings and let them know that your club has just formed.  I once saw an HS student do this, and in a single meeting, the club passed the hat, and got $20 each from over 50 members, for a total of $1000, which got that HS club a full working HF station, including dipole.

Also, an elmering tip - you do not use an apostrophe when you're pluralizing a word.  So, "radios", "donations" and "hams" do not have apostrophes in them.  You're lucky to still be in high school.  You can ask an English teacher about this by asking him/her to proofread your original posting.

Have funne!!!

MB[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you going to correct somones grammar, make sure yours is correct.

"I once saw 'A' HS student!"

15. KG4VRA

KG4VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is a few days old, but I didn't run across it until now. I definitely agree that you should look at the "Big Project" information. I'm the President of the Amateur Radio Club of William Byrd High School in Roanoke, VA and we are involved with the "Big Project." It provided a grant that has allowed us to buy some very nice new equipment and we are getting more students involved.

We are lucky because our school Principal, an extra class operator, is the faculty sponsor of the club and we have support from another local club. They have arranged for licensed amateurs to come in and provide classroom instruction at our meetings after school as well as allow students to operate 3rd party making DX contacts around the world.

I'm not familiar with all of the conditions that must be met for involvement with the "Big Project", but I really do recommend looking into it for your school club. It, along with the other support mentioned above, has helped our club a lot.

Feel free to contact me (e-mail listed with call sign) if you have any questions. Again, I'm not completely familiar with all of the requirements, but I know enough people that I could ask around and find out answers for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.