ad: TinyPaddle-1

Donald W. Sartelle, KR4VU SK March 20, 2020 Age 91

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Apr 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Donald W. Sartelle, KR4VU SK

Donald Willoughby Sartelle, 91, passed away in his home on Friday, March 20th.
    He was born in Winchester, VA on September 14, 1928 as the son of Dr. Rexford Ray Sartelle and Clara Evans Sartelle.

In addition to his parents, Donald was proceeded in death by his sister, Doris Virginia Sartelle and his beloved wife of 58 years, Dorothy Elizabeth Sartelle.

He is survived by his son, Robert Fredrick Sartelle, and his wife, Michelle Aileen Sartelle, of Richmond, VA and his daughter, Anne Elizabeth Bidwell, and her husband, James Russell Bidwell, of Ashburn, VA.
    He is also survived by his five grandchildren: Kyle Robert Sartelle and his wife, Elizabeth Imeson Sartelle, of East Lansing, MI, Christopher Robin Sartelle of Virginia Beach, VA, and Alisa Elizabeth Bidwell, Jason James Bidwell, and Josh Anson Bidwell of Ashburn, VA.

Donald was a graduate of Handley High School in Winchester, VA and Randolph Macon College in Ashland, VA. In college, Donald was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.

After graduating, he joined the United States Air Force where he served during the Korean War from 1950 -1953. After receiving an honorable discharge from the Air Force, Donald moved to Baltimore, MD and worked for McCormick and Company as a salesman. While living in Baltimore, he met Dorothy Elizabeth Leppo, who at the time was a nurse at Union Memorial Hospital. They married in Hanover, PA on February 27, 1955.
    After a brief transfer to Norfolk, VA, Donald took a job as a pharmaceutical salesman with Lederle Laboratories and moved with his wife to Roanoke, VA. Donald and Dorothy would go on to raise their family in Roanoke, and choose to stay there for the remainder of their lives. Later in life, Donald also worked as a salesman for Ennis Business Forms.
    Outside of work, Donald had a strong passion for music and played in a band for most of his life. While in Roanoke, he was a member of the Roanoke Valley Community Band where he played first chair flute. In addition to the flute, he was also talented on a wide variety of instruments: including the saxophone, double bass, bass guitar, and drums. On occasion, he also acted as a conductor.

Besides music, Donald also had a hobby for Amateur Radio, where he had an advanced license, and frequently entertained his grandchildren by showing them how to operate his radio.
    Donald and his wife were also both members of the Saville Sunday School Class at Raleigh Court United Methodist Church.
    His family will have a Celebration of His Life at a later date.

https://memorial.oakeys.com/donald-sartelle/4167008/index.php

Old version of Don's QRZ Bio, not visible anymore....

I am currently retired from business, and pursue a few hobbies. One of the best is ham radio, and my other interest is music. I play in the Roanoke Valley Community Band. My instruments are flute and piccolo. My military experience was with the 3499th. Mobile training Wing with the U.S. Air Force where I worked with the Testing section as an electronics countermeasures testing supervisor. Other electronic experience consisted of working as a salesman for Peoples Electronics Supply and Avec Electronics in Virginia.

[​IMG]

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

1 animated Flag QRZ PAGE.gif
    ..== KOREAN WAR BADGE.jpg
    A FINAL SALUTE NEW.jpg
    ... 1 A PRAYING HANDS WITH RAINBOW.jpg
    ========== 1 A candle_animation_1_.gif

RESPECTFULLY,

3. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi norman MEIN herzliche beileit vy73 DJOAJ ekrem