ad: Halibut-1

Donald T. Blizzard, W8UMH SK Age 80, died October 10, 2017

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Oct 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Donald T. Blizzard, W8UMH SK

[​IMG]

10-10 Number: 06602

Donald T. Blizzard

Mt. Vernon: Age 80, died October 10, 2017 in Hilliard, Ohio. He was born August 18, 1937 in Mansfield, Ohio, the son of Thomas and Virginia (Buck) Blizzard.

Don graduated from Ohio University with a BS in Electrical Engineering and was a registered professional engineer. He began his career at Allis Chalmers Mfg. Co in Milwaukee, Wis. In 1965, he joined Cooper Bessemer and worked in Mt Vernon OH and Grove City, PA until retiring in 1998. Don held a number of engineering management positions, including Director of Engineering. During his career, he authored and published over twenty technical articles and papers. He was a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. He was a founding member of the Board of Directors of the Grove City, PA Literacy Council. Don has been a FCC Licensed Amateur Radio Operator since 1954 with the FCC assigned call letters of W8UMH. He was member of the Mt Vernon Amateur Radio Club and American Radio Relay League. He spent many hours on his radios contacting other amateur radio stations in locations all over the world.

Don is survived by his wife of 57 years, Carolyn; his daughter Linda (William) Rodgers and 3 grandchildren, David, Mark and Jillian of Hilliard; sister-in-law, Karen (Vick) Garmon of Port Clinton; niece Kathy (Geoff) Falter of Delaware; sister-in-law Louise (Joseph) Baehr of Cape May Courthouse, NJ; along with several nephews, nieces and cousins. Don was preceded in death by his parents Thomas and Virginia, his brother David and nephew John.

Don was a member of Gay Street United Methodist Church of Mt Vernon. He has lived in the country for many years where he has enjoyed gardening and many do-it-yourself projects. He also enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren, and is very proud of each one. He taught them how to fish, play euchre and attended many of their sporting events.

Friends may call on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 from 5-7 PM at the Flowers-Snyder Funeral Home. A service will be held on Thursday, beginning at 11AM, with Rev. Karen Oehl officiating. Burial will follow in Mount Vernon Memorial Gardens Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Community Foundation of Mt. Vernon and Knox County.

To send the family a condolence online visit: www.snyderfuneralhomes.com

The Flowers-Snyder Funeral Home is honored to serve the family of Donald T. Blizzard.
    Published in the News Journal on Oct. 13, 2017

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ma...?n=donald-t-blizzard&pid=186931184&fhid=27540

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Copied from his QRZ Bio page.

I received my Novice license in 1954 when in high school. I was the first in the family to earn my ham license, and I could not drill any holes or slots to bring the feed line into the house. However, upon returning from college, I found my Dad and brother licensed, and mysteriously found a bunch of holes for all sorts of wires and cables plus an antenna tower installed.

I ultimately progresssed to General, Advanced, and finally 20wpm Extra. I was W9COE in Milwaukee in the sixties, and have also lived in Mercer County Western Pennsylvania for 19 years and in beautiful Mount Vernon Knox County Ohio for 34 years.

I currently have 4 quiet country acres for my antenna farm and work 80,40,20,15,10,and 2 meters. I have a Mosley CL-33 Tribander for 10 15 and 20 at 50 ft and dipoles for 75 - 80 and 40 meters at 43 ft. I use a Kenwood TS 2000 and a Gonset GSB-201 linear, and operate a mix of ssb and cw.

I am a retired Engineering Manager from a large reciprocating engine and compressor manufacturer.

2. N0CZV

N0CZV Ham Member QRZ Page

I met Don and Carolyn during their time spent on Catawba Island. There were several of us that would get together on VHF while there, and then HF when we would return to our full time locations. I always enjoyed our time on the air and when we would get together. Don will be missed......

Steve, N0CZV

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I used to know Don way back when I lived in Mansfield Ohio (Thus the 8 call).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo