ad: elecraft

Don, K9BMC(SK), my longest-time ham friend

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W9JEF, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's not too long after I first got on the 75 meter phone band, as W9JEF, back in 1954 or 55. It's a pleasant afternoon, I'm out on our Back yard, in Green Bay, possibly doing antenna work, when Don shows up and introduces himself. He lives just a few blocks from us, and picked me up on his shortwave radio. We're both in the same grade; I in the public, he in the Catholic school. Before long he passes the test, and we're fellow hams. In our senior year of high school we both bought cars. His was a '49 Ford V8, mine, a 48 Chevy "hump trunk."

The military draft was a fact of life back then, and you never knew when your number would come up. So to get our obligations out of the way so we could get on with our lives, Don joined the Army Reserve, and I the Naval Reserve. His active duty was only six months, but mine was 3 years. By the time I got out, Don was already married with a couple of kids.

Don and I also had our FCC First Phone tickets. He worked as a transmitter engineer at WJPG (AM) (now WNFL), I had part time work at two TV repair shops, plus a weekend D.J. gig at WDUZ (AM). When another full-time opening at 'JPG casme up, Don got me on the fast track. By that time, I also had my own TV repair business, and did many a repair on company time. ;)

When WJPG went to partial automation, at the trasnsmitter site we had a rack consisting of two big Ampex reel-to-reel tape, and several Collins cart machines. It was a round-robin contraption, the end tone of each event triggering the next. I casled it "The Monster," Don dubbed it the "Big Mother"--which is the name that stuck. To operate this beast was known as "Motherizing." :)

For economic reasons, it came to pass, that the studios were moved from downtown to the XMTR site, and the announcers all got their 1st 'phone tickets. No longer needed at 'JPG," Don went to work at the channel 5 transmitter, and I became Chief Engineer at WCUB, in nearby Manitowoc.

The public library is closing...more later.

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences, in the loss of your Friend, and nice of you to Remember some of the Good times you had together.

Donald W. Brisson
    Donald W. Brisson, 64, of West Salem died June 12, 2003, at Franciscan Skemp Medical Center, La Crosse.

Donald was born Jan. 21, 1939, in Green Bay to Mitchell and Elizabeth (Wizer) Brisson. He attended and graduated from Promontre High School, where he was involved in Radio Club and ROTC.
    In 1958 to 1959, Donald served in the U.S. Army in active duty, and from 1959 until 1964, he was active in the Army Reserves in Fort McCoy.
    On Sept. 8, 1973, Donald married Kathryn Wollin in Winona, Minn.

Donald's life's work and hobbies were centered on electronics. His interest in this started when he and his dad built an amateur radio set when Don was 15 years old. This became a profession for him as his working life was as a broadcast engineer in various radio and television stations.
    Donald moved to West Salem after living in Green Bay for 34 years to work for Wisconsin Public Television at WHLA, retiring in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Kathy of West Salem; and his mother, Elizabeth of Green Bay.
    From his first marriage, Donald is survived by three children, Debra Sage and Jeffrey (Alisha) Brisson, both of Green Bay, and Kevin (Lisa) Brisson of Wrightstown; 12 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. Also surviving Donald are a sister, Darlene (Donald) Wertel of Green Bay; and two brothers, Thomas (Mary) Brisson of Green Bay and Michael (Carrie) Brisson of Door County. His father preceded Donald in death.

In accordance with Donald's wishes, his body was cremated, and a memorial service with military honors, were held June 16 at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, West Salem. The Rev. Mitzi Miyamoto officiated. Jostad-Jandt Funeral Home, West Salem, assisted the family.

http://lacrossetribune.com/couleene...cle_c69d3e35-ad85-595e-b7de-4c1ee22d9bae.html

73 K2HAT Lee Hatfield

W9JEF likes this.
  3. W9JEF

Thank you, Lee. Very thoughtful of you to post Don's obit. Don knows what a procrastinator I am, so finally, after 10 years, I finally pay my respects here on the 'zed. :) BTW, I was best man at his second wedding (to Kathy), but an at a loss to remember much. Don liked his beer, and we may have overindulged a bit on that occasion. ;)

4. W9JEF

My time to "turn on, tune in, and drop out" happened in late 1967. Hanging with the UWM and Civil Rights people in Milwaukee (working repair & recondx at AES), I sort of lost contact with my old buddy. Then in August 1972, I was hired as Transmitter Operator at the Wisconsin Educational FM Station in Chilton. I was told that another hiree would be showing up shortly, the two of us to work out a duty schedule. Imagine my surprise and delight, when my fellow engineer turned out to be Don! In November of that year, he gave up his Thanksgiving weekend, filling in for me full time, so I could give a lady friend a ride back to her home in Virgnia. Who could ask for a better friend? :)

5. W9JEF

n the folowing year (1974), the Chilton FM station was moved to Scray's hill near Green Bay; co-located with PBS channel 38, on the channel 2 tower. Don was then moved to WHLA (licensed to La Crosse, WI, transmitter at LaCrescent, MN). I was transferred to the state station on Rib Mountain in Wausau (good DX location). :) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . On 75 meter phone, we kept in touch through the years, often getting on late at night, when conditions were good between Wisconsin and Arkansas. Don eventually got tired of my drifty HW-100, so he bought me the radio I now use, an Icom 706. (Or was it that he may have fooled around with my first wife, and the gift was out of guilt?) ;) Anyhow, very 73, old buddy, and hope to BCNU in that great roundtable in the sky. :)

6. W9JEF

Back in the summer of 1957, we both had graduated from high school. Don and I drove to Chicago in his '49 Ford V8,
    for me to take the FCC Amateur Extra test, and he wanted to upgrade his "Conditional" (test taken by mail, administrated
    by a local ham of General or higher class) to General Class. A bit nervous, Don had considerable sweat copying the 13 wpm.
    The examiner was patient, and Don was finally able to piece together one minute of solid copy.

At that time, you were allowed access to the roof of the federal building.
    There were binoculars you could stick a quarter into, and enjoy the view.
    I can't remember who, but one of us hawked a "greenie" from aloft,
    and watched it head toward the street. Ah, memories. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.