Domain name for sale

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KB9K, Sep 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB9K

KB9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to know if I can post my domain name www.MrHamRadio.com for sale on qrz.com

TNX and 73

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious, how much does a domain name sell for?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever a buyer will pay ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like www.MrHamRadio.com should fetch about $3500 right now... but again, the buyer determines the price - how much will they pay if they really want it?

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-9-6_17-44-47.png

5. KB9K

KB9K Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU TNX for the info.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

I regret not registering more three letter domain names when I had the chance. I was once the owner of OFF.COM, which I thought was cool. I lost it somehow, and don't know what happened because it was before the commercial registrars came onto the scene.

When I registered QRZ.COM, all I had to do was send an email form to internic.net with a request. It was granted almost immediately and there was no charge whatsoever. It was about 10 years before the registrar system was overhauled and I actually had to start paying registration fees for the name.

One early name that I registered for my wife was geneology.com. I actually sold that name to a big business for $25,000. The funny part of that was that "genealogy" was misspelled! BTW, I only recently noticed that and the sale was 20 years ago! Not surprisingly, geneology.com is nowhere to be found on the internet. :)

Today, the name registration business is dog-eat-dog. There are so many schemes out there that you would think that its run by the mafia. Here are a few examples:
    - A buddy's domain name expired. A pirate bought it the same day and offered to sell it back, for thousands.
    - I looked up an unlikely name one day, for example say, YDKDEKEREE.COM. The name was available but I hesitated and didn't buy it. The very next day, the name was unavailable, and was for sale on the secondary market for, yes, big bucks. Collusion perhaps?

So, how much is MrHamRadio.com worth? Not terribly much. Based on what I've seen, I'd give it a top value of around $1500. I'm not impressed with the Free Valuator's assessment. They are a commercial domain name dealer, whose interests are purely profit. It would not be in their best interest to dole out low ball estimates. The idea is to sell the dream (of a high sale value), and then in the end take whatever offer comes across, usually for much less.

What's the magic in a name anyway? MrHamRadio is cute, but, great websites have been successfully launched with terrible names. Your business name doesn't need to match the domain name either, because of the way search engines work. Worried about users misspelling your domain name? Again, search engines correct it. EBAY was an improbable name, yet it made it big. Amazon is a great name, but what in the heck does it have to do with their business? Nobody, unknowingly, can look at that name and guess what business they are in.

I've had so many unsolicited offers for QRZ.COM that they're impossible to count. I always have the same answer: "I'll sell it for $12M". That usually chases them right off. Oh, and note: they aren't interested in QRZ the website, they only want the name. Oddly, it appears that QRZ means something an an acronym in Chinese or some other language, but I don't know what. It doesn't matter, however, because we're not selling, not now or ever.

73, -fred

K6CLS likes this.
  7. W7UUU

I held www.Boatanchors.com and www.Greatsurplus.com for years - lost both being "asleep at the switch" :(

But in something of a coup, I did obtain www.MyLineCard.com for my business, where people are always asking for my "line card" (I'm a product rep with multiple lines in Pro AV). I was totally taken aback that the domain was not taken - just a couple years ago too!

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

The irony with ebay, at least from what I read somewhere is that Pierre Omidyar wanted easternbay.com (Bay area / San Francisco) but that was taken so ... he reluctantly settled for an abbreviation which of course turned out to be so much better.

My guess is that domains by themselves are not worth much these days other than exceptionally short .coms etc.

Having a good actual name for a site and good SEO is probably much more important these days. When I watch people use a browser, it's very common to see someone type the site name rather than domain name into the URL bar and with most browsers that calls a search engine. In a sense, we've almost gone full circle back to something similar to AOL keywords.

I have friends.kiwi and giftshop.kiwi if anyone wants a good site for New Zealanders.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  9. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Another funny story is that in the early 1990's, someone registered McDonalds.com and then tried to sell it to them. It was said that McDonalds Corp thought the guy was crazy and sent him packing. Then, a few short years later, the McD lawyers managed to retrieve it for the company.

Anyway, I don't know how true the story is, but it was interesting at the time.

10. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

icann will get your domain back if you can jump through their hoops and prove ownership of the trademark and or copyright. i gotta guess that somewhere on the ronald mcdonald inc. payroll is a pretty good attorney with a BIG check book

a picture of the red nose, yellow jumper and big red shoes probably worked :)