Does your group do after action reports?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Jul 6, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Does your AR group produce after-action reports for activations, exercises, and events? Ours has made it a routine practice and I am gratified at the progress the volunteers have made comparing reports of five years ago to this year. Instead of recommendations like "learn to program your radio" we see critiques of new technologies like Hamwan and leadership training. This would be a good forum for honest critiques since the national AR group does not collect them (other than press releases).

KU4X likes this.
  2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are so correct. I gradually learned how to use the federal homeland security exercise evaluation program format. HSEEP. I think it is overly wordy at points, but it makes a decent impression on the authorities, and the improvement plan (which is the most important part ) allows us to work at things.

Going back over them a few months later to see what you’ve actually fixed is helpful.

All of this, of course, is assuming that your group actually wants to become more skilled.

KU4X likes this.
  3. KG7LEA

4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only time I've heard the term and use of "after-action reports" is during my 21 years of USAF military service and around emcomm amateurs.

5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is a good way to turn off volunteers......

NL7W likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A do not understand.

Does this have something to do with affirmative action ?

Sounds like it. No need for that here.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So they have recreational marijuana where you live now?

8. KG7LEA

A quick web search of Department of Defense and after-action report brings up several DoD examples. From the replies to this thread Emcomm volunteers make little use of the idea.

I collect after action commentary from activations to real events and my fellow volunteers find them very useful. These reports identify some opportunities for improvement such as the idea of putting out a call for volunteers from outside the affected area. In one event volunteers were expected to be self-sufficient for several weeks. This required about one pickup truck load of equipment and supplies something few hams are able to do. Was such a request really necessary? Is there a better way?

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck.