ad: M2Ant-1

Does Yaesu ft-70d work with CHIRP?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KC3NEJ, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KC3NEJ

KC3NEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked for a couple hours trying to find an answer to that question. I just ordered an FT-70. I'm using CHIRP with my Baofeng with no problems. The FT-70 is listed in the radios in CHIRP. But all I can find are old threads about problems with the combo. I'm not crazy about the process of plugging, unplugging, removing the battery etc. using Yaesu software. I make changes to programming often and it sounds like a pain.

I think I might just bite the bullet and buy the RT systems software because it has links to RadioReference and RepeaterBook like CHIRP. I've previewed the Yaesu software and it seems that all it can do is import csv's.
    The RT software uses the audio plug and not the usb on the radio.

So . . . is anyone having success with CHIRP and avoiding all that plugging and unplugging required by the Yaesu software?

Thanks (for reading this long-winded post)
    Dave

2. N1ART

N1ART Guest

I had an FT70D, says it works with CHIRP, but it did not!
    My issues with the FT-70D, no receive past 480mhz and the battery doesn't last long.
    Otherwise its a fun toy.
    So CHIRP no.
    I did get chirp to recognize it, but it requires plugging it and its just as annoying as the factory software from Yaesu.So why bother?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yaesu and CHIRP do not typically play well together. LONG story why which I won't repost here.

Just buy RTS Systems and be done with it.

No connection - it's just a better solution.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KE8KMQ

KE8KMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-70D works just fine with Chirp, but the process shouldn't be so complicated as to require me to look up the instructions each time I want to connect the radio to the computer. :)

5. KG5WXW

KG5WXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well... hmm.. I just got a FT-70DR and using a generic FTDI cable with it, I found it worked with CHIRP fine. Here is how I did it:

CHIRP (daily-20191119)
    1. Turn Radio off
    2. Plug in "headphone" (FTDI) programming cable
    3. Press "F" key and then power on, while hold "F" key pressed. Radio will display "CLONE"
    4. In CHIRP, click on "Radio" > "Download from Radio" (NOTE - select correct com port (5 in my case), vendor (Yaesu) and model (FT-70D), then press the "BAND" button on the radio. Radio will display "TX" and a "Receiving" dialog box will pop up with a green progress bar. When the "Receiving" dialog box indicates "Complete", the radio will display "CLONE" again.
    5. In the "Receiving" dialog box, click the "Close" button.
    6. In CHIRP a new "FT-70D Untitled" window will open, populated with the radio's current (downloaded) information and configuration.

That said... I also have the ADMS-10 software and it works with a USB cable, though it seems my USB port on the radio is a bit flaky, as I have to hold the cable in with a bit of pressure for it to be recognized in Device Manager. That method does require some... unusual steps. ;)

KO4ASH likes this.
  6. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Chirp, good luck

7. KO4ASH

KO4ASH Ham Member QRZ Page

This saved me allot of guess work, just wanted to say thank you!

8. W3KKO

W3KKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used CHIRP on a new to me FT70D, followed WXW's guidance here. Bit of learning and trial & error, but worked out well. Thanks for the assistance! 73 de W3KKO