Does the ts-890s have an easy to replace clock battery

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF6OCI, May 25, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KF6OCI

KF6OCI Ham Member QRZ Page

wondering if the ts-890s has a soldered in clock battery, or an easy to replace one, if at all.

thanks

2. AF4CQ

AF4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they’re good for about 20 years.

3. KF6OCI

kenwood has radios with user replaceable batteries, would you like to know if the ts-890s is user replaceable or soldered in.
    Thanks

4. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I've looked through ts890 user manual and in-depth manual. No mention of a battery for the clock. It does say the clock can be set to auto correct if there is a PC connected to the rig, using an NTP time server. I have not had the case off to look inside.

My old ts930 did have removeable batteries for the clock & memories, (4xAA which you accessed through a lil trapdoor) but I found that providing the rig was turned on at least once every 2 weeks you didn't need the batteries. There was a tantalum capacitor in there which would hold a charge for that long.

NL7W likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The schematic and/or parts list should tell you if a rechargeable battery is used, and what type. Accessing the battery (often requiring partial disassembly) is often harder than the actual replacement.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No user replaceable parts inside. o_O

A super cap only provides power for a short time.

7. KF6OCI

Are you sure about that, i like that.
    Thanks Everyone!
    !!! i like the super cap,
    should last forever.

8. WA9SVD

A "Super Cap" may last forever (or almost forever,) but its charge will NOT. A similar cap in a So*y alarm clock radio holds a charge for only a few hours, enuf to last only a short term power outrage.

9. WA9SVD

Rechargeable and "user replaceable" are not synonymous. Even taking the case apart and not making any mods can void a warrantee, and "no user replaceable parts" is boilerplate for almost ALL things now available to consumers. Even adding filters to some modern radios void a warrantee if not installed by a $$$ paid factory trained technician.

10. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, as I said, the tantalum capacitor in my old ts930 held its memory settings (there was no clock) for 2 weeks. When I go on my summer holidays I'll see if the ts890 clock is still on time when I return. The rig will be powered down for the duration.

"...The schematic and/or parts list should tell you if a rechargeable battery is used..."
    Yes, that was my assumption, but on a first read through I couldn't find reference to it.