Does my mobile installation sound okay?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N2GRI, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2GRI

N2GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the FT-1900. Cheap, bottom of the barrel 2m rig, but I like it so far. The cable that came with was indeed fused on both leads. I'd really rather not use the vehicle chassis as a negative return unless the consensus is that the current configuration is an imminent fire hazard or something.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, it probably isn't. I'd go with it.

BTW I know Massena, NY...between Lake Ontario and Montreal. Used to visit that area fairly often in the late 70's-early 80s. Even bought a 2m FM rig from Adirondak Radio, which was a thriving ham radio dealer south of there, back then: It was a Kenwood TR-7400A. I happened to be driving in the area and stopped by the store. Couldn't help myself.:) That was in probably during the winter of 77/78 when I used to get up that way a lot.

A spent a whole winter in Massena, one night.:p

3. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

The fuse in both positive and negative power leads is a throw back to when everyone and his redheaded uncle Mike was putting CB radios in their semi trucks.

Many of the big trucks had positive ground in them hence the fuse in both leads. Even in the day the installation manual for the first of these rigs suggested you clip whichever lead went to the chassis ground and tag it down with a screw, sans the fuse, close to the rig.

I installed several hundred of these in big trucks in the day.

I still run the negative lead to the chassis close to the rig because of this. Besides its usually much easier to run just one wire capable of carrying the current needed to run your rig through the crowded firewall of modern vehicles.

4. WB2WIK

I do that, too, but mostly because I see that's how professional installations (Motorola, et al) are done. And it does save on the cost of a second copper wire to the battery...copper's getting expensive.:p

5. N2GRI

N2GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, Massena winters can be rough. I went away for a year but ended up coming back. I'll probably leave again. I'm still pretty young, after all. This area isn't the greatest for many reasons.

Never heard of that store, though. Granted, I don't spend much time in the Adirondacks proper, but I would've guessed it would have come up during conversations with the old, I mean, more experienced hams around here :p

As far as wiring the negative lead to the chassis, I may keep that in mind for future vehicles. I'm not sure how much life this minivan has left in it anyway. These winters are tearing up the undercarriage like nobody's business.

6. WB2WIK

Adirondak Radio was in Amsterdam, NY -- actually a bit south of the Adirondaks, just below them, and quite a bit down state from you. Everybody knew Adirondak Radio. Its owner Ward Hinkle (forgot his callsign now, he's SK) used to have his face in every QST ad for the store back in the 60s and into the 70s. I have no idea when they finally closed down. Ward's son Doug Hinkle was store manager and sold me the Kenwood.

I moved from the northeast in summer of 1988 probably for the same reasons you're leaving. Indeed, my vehicles never lasted terribly long back there with the winters. It was common to see cars only 7-8 years old already having rot/rust problems. Here in southern CA, it's very common to see people driving 20-30 year old cars that still look brand new. I like the plan here: They keep the snow up in the high mountains so we can drive to it, ski on it, and then come back to civilization.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.