Does it really work?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KL7AJ, Sep 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich Rosen, K2RR, is a diehard 75/80 meter operator...as well a having been on several daring and interesting DXpeditions. He was the former owner/ chief editor of Ham Radio Magazine (alas, now defunct), and one of my very first editors.

On Rich's QRZ page, he recommends the use of "insulted" copper wire for elevated radials. This brought up an interesting question. Any of us experienced hams have insulted one or more pieces of equipment in our shacks with varying levels of results. However, this is the first time I have read any reference to insulting the wire itself, and wonder if anyone else has used this technique, and what the results are. I always like to do things scientifically, and wonder precisely WHICH insult results in the best improvement of performance. Furthermore, is it best to insult the wire while it is still on the spool, or is it best to insult the final installation.

I'm sure some Zedizen has done more research than I in this area. I would just like to know ahead of time, as I have several rolls of potential radial wire, just ready for the insulting....if this is effective.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Eric

N4FZ, N5YPJ, NQ8J and 2 others like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never insulted any type of wire directly but if I ever did, I would likely insult Copperweld the most harshly. That stuff is a rabid wolf in sheep's clothing!

N5YPJ likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've insulted wires before.

Best thing is, they don't talk back.

N5YPJ likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

I like your callsign....definitely catchy on CW!

AK5B likes this.
  5. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just get pre-insulted wire. I am a kind person.

Ed

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But sometimes they bite back!

I wonder, if I insulted the bare wire of an electric fence, would it stop biting back so painfully?

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT IS INSULTED WIRE??????

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

<snirk> Zedizen

I like that.

9. KL7AJ

Wire that's been insulted, of course!

10. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought 75m was the voice portion, and 80m the CW portion, of that block of frequency. Point being, if CW is a gentleman's mode (no offence to the more fair sex), then I have to wonder if insulted wire would refuse to react--it might even fail to respond to RF. This pre-insulted wire sounds like something for strictly the upper portions of each HF band.

WD4IGX likes this.