ad: MLSons-1

Does Ham Radio Need to Rebrand?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No. I wasn't implying any of that. I was going from stories of losing bandwidth in the GHz range to be sold off to commercial interests. Nothing more than that.

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't meant to imply you didn't. I'm just repeating what many hams here espouse when it comes to VHF+ and/or Techs. There seems to be a bit of a schizophrenic response when it comes to VHF+, losing our access there, and still encouraging hams to abandon those bands in favor of HF.

Chris

3. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

In the United States & Canada we could really use some Enforcement of the rules because the FCC acts like a TOOTHLESS LION in 99.9% of the cases so they are pretty much USELESS as is Radio Canada.Some of the bands sound like the Children's Band some days & nights. {:>(

Clayton
    W4KVW

KR3DX and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. W5TAO

W5TAO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, there's 16 pages of this, already. I couldn't read all of it... some thoughtful info here so one can hope that the ARRL leadership will read it? I readily admit it, I'm 75 and just got a license last year. Now I have a "setup" and can do SSB with folks far away that I've never met and will probably never know very well since most of the comments/talk is about signal strength or S meter readings... a little bit about equipment and antennas plus a location and, maybe a first name... of course all of that is available here on QRZ. If i need help, I go to YouTube or a book or a website. I'm trying to find a place in this world of radio but it's not obvious, yet... maybe ARES? Maybe it's something else I haven't heard of yet? It's hard for me to get jazzed about exchanging S meter readings with all the states or whatever.

Suggestions?? Will "rebranding" help?

thanks.

K4FMH, VK6APZ/SK2022 and AJ6KZ like this.
  5. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My hat is off to you! I am a late comer to ham radio myself, having gotten my license at age 57. I understand where you are coming from. I think you just have to steer conversations the way you want them to go. Ask about other hobbies or something. I am only doing CW so I don't have a good idea of what goes on in SSB land, but in CW there are people who are interested in "rag chews" and will chat about all manner of things. It doesn't have to be all about signal reports. :)

6. KI4POT

Ragchewing on the air isn't my thing, so I can't tell you specifically what to do, but there are plenty longform conversations taking place. Look for established nets that take place regularly. Some of those nets will take a number of "check-ins" who don't say anything beyond that check-in, but others will talk about various things to which others will reply.

As for how to find these nets, there are lists online, but as I don't participate, I can't steer you in the right direction there. I tend to stumble across them by accident myself.

Chris

AJ6KZ likes this.
  7. W1SPS

W1SPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tested directly to General at 49 years old in 2019. I try to keep the Amateur Radio interesting for myself by being involved in as many aspects of it as I can. By making my own antennas, getting out on UHF & VHF, Ragchew Nets, FT8, sometimes bouncing around just following a signal on the panadapter and catching someone calling CQ. Then I think of all the things I haven't even tried yet EME, microwave, 630m, slowscan tv, etc. Re-branding? Or selling the idea of Amateur Radio to people? I think when you have to sell the idea to someone they aren't getting involved out of genuine interest and passion for the hobby. You'll end up with people trying it out for a year flooding the market with used stuff for sale.

I think you'd naturally have more people interested in Amateur Radio if the Schools didn't get rid of all the Industrial Arts Courses (My Junior High and High School had Metal, Wood, Electronics, Printing, Auto Shop, and Drafting Courses). Some schools have/had Ham Radio Clubs. Mine didn't. I think most folks that got into Amateur Radio saw something early in life that just struck a chord and they always had some kind of fascination or interest in electronics, or radios in general. So, no, I don't think Amateur Radio is something that has to be rebranded or sold (to the right people).
    Rich W1SPS

K4FMH likes this.
  8. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

YES. Not even on the radar for young people, young adults, OR middle age. Ham Radio's image has been $%$^ for years, literally &^%*^for years!. Nobody CARES! One problem is a generational disconnect. For instance, you may have grown up in a "HAM" household but don't want to be your "Dad". A second problem is lack of historical knowledge among young people, and the vast difference in the science education they receive (maybe) today versus what we had. WE ARE SO DISCONNECTED. And taking your kids to a "HAMFEST" full of t-shirt wearing fat old men with baseball caps walking around with antennas poking out of their pockets doesn't help our image

9. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

YES. Not even on the radar for young people, young adults, OR middle age. Ham Radio's image has been $%$^ for years, literally &^%*^for years!. Nobody CARES! One problem is a generational disconnect. For instance, you may have grown up in a "HAM" household but don't want to be your "Dad". A second problem is lack of historical knowledge among young people, and the vast difference in the science education they receive (maybe) today versus what we had. WE ARE SO DISCONNECTED. And taking your kids to a "HAMFEST" full of t-shirt wearing fat old men with baseball caps walking around with antennas poking out of their pockets doesn't help

10. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been re-branded, It is CB radio +

All the questions & answers are online so any moron with half a brain can pass.

When you see some of the stupid questions asked by licensed amateurs it makes you wonder if they are safe with 1 watt let alone 1.5 KW

It's no good going into a technical hobby with so little understanding you ask stupid questions.

I cringe watching the ... ASK DAVE on YouTube & think Ham Radio is doomed.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  11. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree its more of a advanced version of cb, so calling it cb+ fit perfectly!!!!

and the questions, don't get me started as the questions that come from people who just want to get on air ,rather than knowing the principles of getting on air.

and of course the lingo that came along with the cb'ers.....i could go on and on but we have heard it , we have felt the pain, we have felt like it going down hill, and i feel ya when you say any moron can go online and memorize the answers......there is things that need to be changed.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and W4KVW like this.
  12. PR7GA

PR7GA Ham Member QRZ Page

Never. You totally miss the REAL point. Please, don't bother me again.

73, take care.

13. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

NETS are like Contests & we have far to many of both & they are pretty much a useless waste of band space.I'm trying to remember if I have ever heard anything Important on any net other than once in over 27 years in Amateur Radio.If I ever get bored enough that I think I want to be working the nets I'll just go back to the Children's Band & listen to the Idiots who have not & never will grow up.

Clayton
    W4KVW

14. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KI4POT

ok, if nets and contests are a waste, then what is a valid use of the airwaves? Emmcom? Contact after contact exchanging nothing but a signal report? :D :D :D

And the idea of hearing anything important on amateur radio... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D <deep breath> :D :D :D

Chris

W1ER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.