ad: M2Ant-1

Does DMR make a mobile radio more "resistant to obsolescence"?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2TTM, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have an Alinco DR-735T in my car. I don't have a VHF/UHF base. I don't have the radio mounted permanently so I am able to unplug the power cord and antenna and bring it into the house for base use. I like the radio a lot.

I'd like to buy another dual-band mobile so I'll have something in the car and in the house. There are a couple of DMR repeaters in range of my house. I have not yet done anything with digital operations, HF or VHF/UHF. My HT (Alinco DJ-MD5T) is DMR capable to a limited extent.

Is DMR capability something that may become more important or useful in the future? I'm wondering if I should buy a basic, low-budget radio for the car and bring the DR-735T inside as a base, or buy something more capable, like an Anytone AT-D578UV Pro that will offer DMR capability as well as other features I don't currently have. That Anytone radio interests me, but budget is a consideration.

Thoughts?

2. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

nope

FM is king on VHF/UHF and will remain so for a while.

DMR, C4FM Fusion, and Dstar are all sony betamax in my humble opinion.

proprietary digital formats are not the spirit of ham radio.

DMR is only popular because of surplus gear and chi-com amazon rigs.

Dstar seems to be loosing favor

C4FM Fusion seems to be gaining the most because Yaesu has discounting repeaters.

just my humble opinions.

KD8OCT, KB0SJE and KD2TTM like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We've been waiting for almost thirty years for the FM format wars to be resolved. Instead more formats keep being introduced.

I gave up following the formats so I can't make a prediction however these are my two points of guidance.

-Regardless of national popularity, it's the local popularity of a format that matters. You have to run what the local repeaters are offering.
    -Low cost commercial radios and cast-offs often drive the amateur market. So, if a particular format has a large share of the commercial market, those radios and formats often migrated downwards to the amateur market.

Good luck! Anyone want to buy my Dstar handheld, which I have never had a local repeater to use? :) "A tale of how local repeater operators abandoned Dstar just as I purchased my HT!"

W1TRY and KD2TTM like this.
  4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't think a DMR rig would be any more desirable in the near future than a standard analog only radio. Certainly not to me. I've used DMR a little, it sounded like robots drowning underwater. I have 3 Yaesu Fusion radios because I wanted their APRS capabilities. I have used them on Fusion digital, I see no need for it. It has less range and poor audio compared to analog.
    FM isn't going anywhere for a long, long time.

KD2TTM likes this.