Does Anyone Use Paper Log and Send QSL Cards?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG4KAH, Mar 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2EGB

K2EGB Subscriber QRZ Page

New Ham here with a question. Are QSL cards (paper or "e") primarily used for DX'g (as opposed to for local contacts as well)? I just received my order of printed QSL cards and hope to use them some day, but for now - as a Technician licensee - I'm mostly on 2m and 70cm, so not making many long distance contacts yet.
    My aspirations are to keep the old school elements of amateur radio alive (analog mode, paper logging, paper QLS etc). I'm an old soul...born after my time if you will...and although I am trying out the electronic means of logging here on QRZ, I have to agree with AB4KA above that this isn't quite as fun as paper logging, so I'm going to do both.
    Thank you to anyone who responds to my question and thanks also for "listening"!

Matt
    K2EGB

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am always answer to all incoming cards. And especially at VHF.

K2EGB likes this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not customary to exchange QSL cards for contacts via repeaters and internet-linked systems like EchoLink.
    But it's not unheard-of.

I'm not sure what you mean by "local".
    Lots of hams exchange cards for stateside contacts -- how else to get the required cards if you want to qualify for Worked All States (WAS) via paper rather than electronically via Logbook of the World (LoTW)?
    Many exchange cards for contacts within their own states, even withing their own counties or towns.

It's all up to the operator "on the other end" whether (s)he does paper cards, and any requirements (e.g. SASE) for doing so.
    Check their QRZ profiles for that information.

K2EGB likes this.
  4. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The very first person I ever talked to on my own radio, was on 2m. I happily exchanged a QSL card with the OM. He gave me one in return.

K2EGB likes this.
  5. K2EGB

K2EGB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks KS2G! By "local", I meant within my own city...so you answered my question! :)

6. DV2AWN

DV2AWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Traditionally, QSL card exchange is done for HF QSO's. However, i don't see any reason why you can't exchange qsl cards on 2m contact.

K2EGB likes this.
  7. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

With the new digital modes, VHF contacts can be hundreds of miles and several states away easily. I'm happy to send cards to anyone - any mode or band and any distance. My shortest exchange of cards is 4 miles on 20 meters (I sent a card as a joke not expecting one in return) and in a VHF contest I got a 2m card from a QSO 300 miles away.

I would most certainly want a paper card for a moonbounce contact! Even if that's 2m or 440!

K2EGB likes this.
  8. W4CWL

W4CWL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paper log, paper QSL here. I also upload logs periodically to LOTW.

Seeing my uncle's QSL cards from all over the world is what got me interested in Ham radio to begin with, way back in the 80s. I still have every card I ever received, and cherish each paper QSL card.

K2EGB, W7DCM and WN1MB like this.
  9. WA2FTV

WA2FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I still use a paper log and send out QSL cards in the mail.

K2EGB, WN1MB and W7DCM like this.
  10. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

This week some really beautiful cards have rolled in from DX stations. When my grandson is old enough, I plan on showing them to him so that I can teach him about geography and other cultures. Hopefully the radio bug will bite him.

Yes, I know about LoTW.

I'm sticking with the paper logs and paper QSLs. I track my QSOs on a spreadsheet, for data analysis purposes, and to know how many grids and entities I have, but electronically that's as far as I'll go at this time.

K2EGB and WN1MB like this.