Does Anyone Use Paper Log and Send QSL Cards?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG4KAH, Mar 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when I first got licensed in 1987, even though logging wasn't required, I always kept a standard ARRL logbook, and sent qsl cards. Now that I'm active again after a 20 year hiatus, I keep a standard ARRL logbook and send qsl cards. I've experimented with a little electronic logging and it just leaves me cold. I like my logbook. As for qsl cards, in my opinion a qsl is the final courtesy of any qso. I'm sad that I'm required to send a sase to get one from most anyone, but it is what it is. I don't require one. To me, sending a qsl is just something you do. I certainly don't require anyone to jump through hoops to get one from me.

K2EGB, N3AB, WD0BCT and 3 others like this.
  2. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wanted a nice, neat hand written log, but mine always ended up looking like a lame frog had dragged his ink-stained bad leg across the page. So I stopped.

KT5WB, WA4CZD, VE3CGA and 1 other person like this.
  3. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I kept Paper logs for years...
    Then about 6 years ago, I started working with Excel for work. One of the guys I worked with was an Excel power user, and I wanted to get on "the same page". Well, I never did achieve the macro writing abilities he had, but as a learning tool, I decided to create an electronic version of my paper log.

I don't see this as ""Abandoning Paper Logging"" as much as using the technology at my disposal augment what I normally did.
    Sort of like using QRZ or the FCC Database to verify an address to send a card instead of buying a $65 Call Book (That was out of date the day it was published) like I did in the old days.

I log everything except mobile FM contacts. Except - FM newbies are logged - and they also get a card.
    Anyone who QSL's me a paper card will get one in return. Otherwise, most cards come via eQSL.

4. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

My computer log just somehow deleted everything from July 2018 to today! I'm glad I still keep paper records!

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you back up your computer logs as often as you do your paper logs you have no one to blame but yourself. Computer back up is much easier than paper back up.

KT5WB likes this.
  6. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

My backup is in LOTW and here on QRZ. I just have no way to download it back to my computer.
    I'll reenter the few dozen SSB & SSTV contacts. I don't care about the 200 or so FT8/JT65/PSK31 contacts.

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as you can de-cipher what is written why would it matter?
    It's not going to get archived in the Smithsonian.

8. K5TEN

K5TEN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Paper cards still have a place. I'm learning electronic logging now. IOTA still requires paper cards IIRC.

9. K8CD

K8CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an electronic log (MLDX) when I'm on the air. I do howver send paper cards. It just depends on the contact. If I receive a card though, I send one back.

10. KC8AMH

KC8AMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I use both. Enjoy all the cards and welcome them all. Logging i do in n3fjp logbook, but while mobile i use a paper log because a week later i will not remember 2 percent of the details who, where, and when i talked with someone. The benefit of paper log i still enter into n3fjp logbook at a later time with the ability to upload all contacts to lotw.