ad: wmr-1

Does Anyone Use Paper Log and Send QSL Cards?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG4KAH, Mar 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KG4KAH

KG4KAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a old guy, I use a paper log, and have never seriously used electronic logs. I log every contact I make on 2 meters, although that may be unusual. I recently passed the General exam, and so I bought some paper QSL cards, you know, that you send through the mail. Does anyone still use these? I see ARRL pushing Log Book of the World, and I read quite a lot about eQSLs. I plan on doing casual DX and rag chewing. Any help would be appreciated.

Wade

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't use a paper log - I use N3FJP for logging, and upload to all the various awards sites. But I do paper QSL cards with SASE all the time. I have over 30 designs, reflecting many different rigs - I actually collect cards "per rig" and have done so for years.

But I've not paper logged since maybe 1992 or so, when I moved to MS Excel when it came out.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep both an electronic log here on QRZ and a paper log, I also periodically upload my QRZ logbook to LoTW which helps confirm QSOs for others that use LoTW and is handy for ARRL award purposes. I keep the paper log for nostalgia reasons as I find it fun and interesting to flip through thirty and forty year old paper logs in a way that's just not as satisfying when searching back through electronic logs. I figure as the years go by these paper logs I'm collecting today will also be interesting to look at.

I send and sometimes receive paper QSL cards but as mentioned above also make use of L0TW and also eQSL as electronic QSL services as they're both synched to my electronic QRZ logbook. FWIW, the QRZ logbook is very easy to use and displays QSO records much like my paper logs. LoTW isn't nearly as user friendly as a log book but once linked to the QRZ log is pretty nice in terms of being a virtual QSL card service that a lot of hams use.

KA0REN and AD5NM like this.
  4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are still a few of us who like getting paper QSL cards. If you want to stick with paper QSLing and you get into DXing, be sure to read up on the bureau system, as postage is expensive!

KA0REN and KE0MQG like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does Anyone Use Paper Log and Send QSL Cards?

Of course. I do. I log with pencil/paper and input the data later to my logging program when its convenient and do the e-uploads. And I collect QSL cards so I still go after them.

KA0REN, KE0MQG and K4RKY like this.
  6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am old fashioned. I still have a paper log book but I put all my contacts is N3FJP log book and from there I up load to LoTW and eQSL. I still love to go to the mail box and get a new card in the mail. I will paper QSL as long as I can get others to do it. I do use SASE's with each QSL I send out. I don't need an SASE though to return a QSL. I just always thought it was part of the hobby and budget for the expense.
    I then take all paper cards and eQSL cards and scan the paper ones and download the electronic ones and put them in an electronic picture frame and just enjoy sitting there watching history go by. I have them in the electronic picture frame going back to 1974. I love to sit and watch them and remember the fun I have had getting them.
    This is not a great picture but it is the electronic picture from I use to see my cards.
    My_Station5.jpg
    John, WB0MPB

KD0KLS, KC3IYV, KC4LOV and 6 others like this.
  7. KO4LZ

KO4LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I kept a paper log until about 2005 (force of habit) now it's all electronic. I do send paper QSLs, usually through the bureau, for DX contacts that don't use LoTW or for a new country. I also respond to all paper QSL requests, although living in W-land keeps those to a minmum. :)

If you're working on awards, I think paper QSLs are still important. There are a lot of hams (especially on CW, it seems) that don't use LoTW, and DX is hit or miss when it comes to LoTW.

One of my favorite QSLs is one I received hand-written on an ordinary index card. I've also received many interesting bits of local color (currency, postcards, stickers, etc.) when getting direct QSL replies.

In an age where getting a hand-written letter in the mailbox is more or less dead, a paper QSL is something I still very much appreciate.

KC5AKB and KG4KAH like this.
  8. KO4LZ

KO4LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Direct paper QSLing is also great if you're a stamp collector (alas, a dying hobby I think ...). I have heard that some hams became QSL managers because they were also avid stamp collectors,but I have to admit that I don't personally know anyone who falls into this category.

KG4KAH likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I often use a paper log when mobile. The rest of the time, I use the logger built into the digimode software I am using at the time. N3FJP is also great for contests. His Field Day software appears to be particularly popular.

I have never been able to warm up to LoTW. The eQSL site makes a lot more sense to me. At least with eQSL, you get a "card," with a picture and everything, even if it is electronic. With eQSL, I can print cards that are interesting to me, and the ones that aren't didn't cost anybody postage to send to me. To me, eQSL is halfway between paper and electronic cards. LoTW is basically a shared spreadsheet, and it has more security than the Federal Reserve, which is just silly. The only reason really to use LoTW is to chase ARRL awards. I quit doing real cards a while back. Since most of my contacts are contest contacts, it doesn't make much sense to chase cards, especially when I make hundreds of contacts at a time.

10. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I log my calls on paper and then fill out and send to LoTW. For DX expeditions I usually do OQRS, or send a donation in order to get a QSL card.

Roger KK6IVD