ad: ARR

Does anyone use/monitor DStar Simplex 145.67?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N8MLP, Feb 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering if anyone monitors or uses the Dstar simplex freq 145.67? FM simplex is fairly quiet around me so its probably a long shot considering it would be limited to DStar only radios...

I am frustrated with DPRS and how it interacts with APRS. Before I totally bail on the ID51 HT I thought If enough people would beacon on DV simplex It would sort of be like a local APRS without website tracking. I think in DV mode the HT would transmit your QTH and a message similar to APRS. If you were really interested and had the usb cable you could send chats and pictures... although the latter would be difficult to do mobile

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't monitor D-STAR simplex.

The problem you describe is typical. It often takes someone to "drum up business" to get other locals to play with the same kind of toys you have. I've played this scenario many times.

Personally I think DPRS is only useful via D-STAR repeaters and is no substitute for 144.39 APRS.

WD9EWK and W4POT like this.
  3. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?

The way it operates baffles me... Certainly Icom knew about APRS and its uses when they came up with DPRS. It just seems weird that you have to tune to a Igate repeater in order to update APRS. Even then it seems to work when it wants to. In my area I have 2 Igate repeaters both are hit or miss as far as passing info to APRS.

Might as well forget about using it mobile. You would literally have to update you repeater list before traveling or load a custom list. Then tune to each one along the way as you go in and out of range, what is that feature auto beaconing for again...?

APRS seems much more streamlined, one freq... boom.. done...

I think Icom could easily fix this on the backend and wouldn't need to change a thing on the end user level. If they allocated a SET frequency on the Igate repeater software to tell the repeater to listen only on said frequency and pass the DPRS info along. Similar to how it works now just eliminate the need for getting into a repeater.

I don't know anything about owning or operating a repeater, but it sounds like it would work with a simple firmware update to the repeater. ?

4. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Simplicity is one of its strengths.

Sounds rather complicated. You have two basic choices now: run analog APRS on the standard 144.39 or use DPRS. And whatever you do, don't set your DPRS to beacon continuously. Only have it set to 'PTT' so that your position is updated when you are in a conversation.

I have owned several repeaters and APRS digipeaters over the years. Rarely is anything "simple."

5. KK4IB

KK4IB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DSTAR and D-RATS and packet are busy in Central GA. RF only ... just in case "all else fails ..." www.midgadata.net. DSTAR simplex is getting more popular since we're just out of reach of the Macon DSTAR repeater ... and that ID-51 works GREAT on D-RATS ... RF simplex, very cool D-RATS software!!!!

6. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I scan DSTAR simplex UHF and VHF, as well as analog when I'm traveling. DSTAR seems to have it's pockets of activity around the country. I have come across simplex DSTAR conversations on both bands.

N8MLP likes this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I uh use 146.52 when I'm on the road has a better chance of hams in general contacting me there