Does anyone use "DIGITAL" mode on the Yaesu FT-891 for anything but PSK?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KV0A, Jan 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KV0A

KV0A Ham Member QRZ Page

I mean specifically selecting the mode they call DIGITAL (not SSB or RTTY for digital).

This mode has a "PSK" and "OTHERS" setting, but the manual (if I remember correctly) only has some sample setup for PSK. I'm wondering what "others" it might support.

Also, any more info on how this mode works would be helpful. Like it seems like it wants to isolate a specific carrier tone and so probably won't work for things like FT8 and JS8 unless maybe you narrowed it to a very narrow range with filters or something?

2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding is that 'DIGITAL' mode on FT891 removes all signal processing, AND opens all filters WIDE . maximum receive bandwidth, and zero transmit processing.

KH6AQ likes this.
  3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

In other words, this is exactly what you want

4. KV0A

KV0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Except that doesn't seem to be what it's doing on the FT-891. You see much less stuff on the waterfall in digital mode. Also the LCUT and HCUT filters default to on.

It seems like it's trying to do something fancy like isolate one carrier tone, which is a problem if you use the digi software to pick what to isolate rather than the tuning knob.

Has anyone actually tried it themselves with an FT-891?

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the FT-891 as a dedicated digital mode rig. At the moment on an SSTV QSO on 20 meters. It's used with a SignaLink USB for other modes. Those modes include FT-8, RTTY, PSK-31, SSTV, etc. It's used with the FT-891 set to the USB mode with the cable running from the SignaLink to the data port on the rear of the radio. No problem with this configuration.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I Use it for WSJTX FT8/FT4. It's nice because you can set a data mode specific power level and not have it change your SSB Power level.

7. KV0A

KV0A Ham Member QRZ Page

When I try to use it in DATA mode, FT-8 looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/CjG7rda.png

In SSB mode it looks normal. I'm starting to wonder if my radio is broken somehow.

I don't yet have isolation transformers installed on my data cable (just awaiting a project box to put them in) but after that I will have something equivalent to a signalink. I'm pretty sure this is not the problem though.

8. KV0A

KV0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so.... it looks like I needed to turn on WDH and widen the filter to max.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  9. KV0A

KV0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what I thought it did too, but apparently it narrows the filters way down. I had to activate WDH and manually widen the filter to get the behavior I expected. That was my whole prob.

10. K5QO

K5QO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can I just say thank you? I've been hitting my head against the wall for an hour now and finally found this post. This was exactly what I needed to do as well.