Does anyone sell an EMP-resistant tube radio these days?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Naturally, multiple events detonated sequentially, could be more effective.

2. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

oh alright.
    I ask because a member of my club has a ts430 for sale for a good price. Leastways I think 200 is a good price.

My current radio is an icom ic735. Wonderful radio and I love it to death. Got it in mint condition... the previous owner sent it to a radio shop to be inspected and tuned. Came with the desk mic, hand mic, owners manual, and packaged well enough to survive a drop off a cliff. All for a neat 350 bucks.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

A true prepper knows the importance of rotating his stock.

:cool::):D

Rege

This advice is null and void in states that have not yet legalised the sale and possession of the devil's lettuce.

W5BIB and N7ZAL like this.
  4. KC7TWS

KC7TWS Ham Member QRZ Page

The UltraRadiacs respond in real time. They have cumulative dose, rates and current reading with alert function.

5. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

To the OP: I'm sorry you are having to wrestle with such concerns. I only wish they were unjustified.

As to the preparedness aspect, a few thoughts:

1) In such an emergency, I suspect that the ability to receive accurate news will be more valuable than the ability to transmit. I would buy multiple cheap modern shortwave-capable receivers and package them up separately. Use multiple layers of protection - ESD proof bag, foil, metal can. If there is more than one event and your equipment is in use and exposed (external antenna or power connection), it's unlikely to survive regardless of whether hollow state or solid state construction.
    2) I think you were preparing for short-range local communication. Again, multiple copies of equipment would be wise. And given the cheap cost of Chinese HTs, that should be easily accomplished. But bear in mind that all such gear would need to be tested, frequencies programmed in, and alternate power sources set up. Expected users would have to be trained in advance as well.
    3) Sometimes the best disaster preparedness is to reduce exposure to the threat. As difficult as such a decision would be, perhaps it's time to bring your family back to your native shores?

Stay safe, and let's all pray that cooler heads will prevail. Jim... W6ELH

WZ7U and KE0EYJ like this.
  7. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ability to transmit means you can ask pointed questions instead of sitting around waiting for someone to hopefully eventually talk about what you need to know.

8. KD4IYI

KD4IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been observed with nuclear testing, as well as observation, if you've been the victim of a very nearby transformer being replaced without warning because the apartment complex only put up a notice at the managers desk, underneath a stack of maintenance requests, and not had adequate surge suppression, and didn't disconnect from the mains because of clear weather, yeah, it doesn't even need to be a true EMP... I lost an HD rig, an HT on charge, as well as 8 of 22 servers, of the servers, each had a minimum of 5 hot swap hard drives in redundant status, and i lost about 18 processors, 40 sticks of RAM, and 60 expensive server hard drives... So, in my opinion, the Faraday Cage is going to be a primary goal, but perhaps the best is going to be your backup radio that will run on battery power, not connected to any batteries, along with a decent sized battery or two along with some solar cells and charge controller stored inside a METAL ammo can, or metal (probably military) container, maybe one of the small windmills if you live in a fairly windy area... Along with an alternator along with a spare voltage regulator/rectifier diode pack, as one on a car may no longer work, you could build a bicycle driven generator with that... Along with food, water, medicine, shelter and protection... Depending on the back up to, maybe a selection of ht's, and a Homebrew repeater, perhaps a simplex one... And a laptop, spare battery for it as well...and any programming cables, some radios are harder to program than others... Some of this may be going overboard, but it's based on your stuff hitting the fan and there's an EMP strike... Ymmv, and good luck in any case...
    Seannon

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

^^ this ^^

And given the OP's location, he is far more likely to have access to broadcasts on shortwave. I can't speak for the accuracy of the information that he will get on the English-language broadcasts of states in the region, but they will undoubtedly be there, along with plenty of broadcasts in other languages.

Don't underestimate non-shortwave broadcasts. Think diversity. You never know where a critical piece of information will come from, so have redundant options. Make sure you have lots of batteries. Rechargeable batteries are also nice, but they also require a power source to refresh them. Get lots of packs of whatever cell types you need to keep your gear running. Have a good plan to keep your cell phone charged, since this is now a/the primary way emergency comms are communicated from governments in many places, and it is the one with the most densely-packed and redundant infrastructure behind it.

All that said, the trends in the news cycles tend to make me conclude that none of the actors involved in the current NK crisis has any intention of taking any action that would result in the need for such preparatory measures. Not in the US, and not even in SKorea. Even unstable people can reason to themselves that if they start a war, their Internet will be cut off, and that really cuts into video game time...