Does anyone sell an EMP-resistant tube radio these days?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It would seem to that an EMP would be almost instantaneous, not prolonged.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, yes, that's mostly true. There are some of corollaries to that.

First, if there are multiple weapons used, then you have several events spread over time.

Second, the damage to equipment isn't always guarantee to be fatal. Most semiconductors are capable of "partially failing" or as the datasheets say, "exposure to stresses beyond those listed in 'absolute maximum ratings' may cause permanent damage that results in the failure or degraded performance of the device..."

Third, the residual radioactive products from the detonation itself will spread over an area that is comparable in size to the area that was "pulsed", and those radioactive products have long-term health issues just like with any other air-bursted weapon. And more to @KE0EYJ 's point, I think, is that those products will be detectable for quite a while after the detonation, mostly as fallout that dusts the surface and items thereon. And you don't want to have to wait minutes for your detection device to tell you that what you are measuring is dangerous.

You are right -- the pulse is just that ... bang ... and it's done. But I don't know of any weapon design that is 100% efficient, so it will have "after effects." :oops: :(

3. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

lol this thread

N7ZAL likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems likely--though who knows what an enemy would do--that there might be a high altitude burst/bursts just in advance of a general attack designed to produce EMP effects over a large area. There would be more from surface and airbursts over targets, but mostly confined to the area of the target.

The small amount of fallout produced by a high altitude burst will have negligible health effects--as compared to the widespread and serious effects of a ground burst by a dirty H-bomb. Any detonation where the fireball does not touch the ground produces minimal fallout.

5. W8MLD

W8MLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the MIG-25 Foxbat used tube based equipment.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm late to this fracas but might mention radiation hardened semiconductors are very available and have been for decades.

They're processed differently, and are more expensive; basically, they're radiation doped at very high rad levels during processing. Most semiconductors used on spacecraft including the ISS are rad-hard devices. A few extra 10's of $K wouldn't matter for those programs.

7. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

No reason in particular really. The ts-430 is what I ended up with as a first hf radio because I found it for a great deal used. I ended up really liking the 430 with such a simple layout and its VERY easy to work on. I just got done fixing one of mine yesterday. This was due to a bad solder joint and I do plan to re solder every joint in this radio along with a complete re cap as well at some point when I have time. The ts-430 and 440 have worked very well for me and my limited experience with other radios. At some point Id love a K2. And I would consider the K2 to be the ultimate shtf hf rig if it just had general recieve and wasn't so damn expensive (this is assuming you had most of the options too like ssb, 100w etc.).

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a SHTF receiver (75A-4 from 1956) but do not have a SHTF transmitter.

I could build one, I guess. Can't afford a KWS-1 that actually works, they go for multi kilobucks even when banged up.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a feature, not a bug. :cool:

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Should have clarified... am thinking of radiation as in fallout. Not EMP, in this case.

Whether North or South Korea ends up nuked, I'd have to worry about fallout, if I were to survive. We're all pretty darned close to one another. In fact, with all of the crazy testing going on up North, it's been an issue I've thought of.

I don't trust the South Korean government to tell us the truth about what's going on. They're already thought to be concealing industrial air pollution statistics, as not to cause alarm. Air pollution has become a serious issue, here, and website reporting monitors which report non-biased numbers to popular non-Korean apps were mysteriously blocked en-mass, with the new administration. This happened very soon after the new administration announced that they would offer free transportation on days when the air quality reached a certain poor level.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017