Does anyone sell an EMP-resistant tube radio these days?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they used devices called Vibrators to turn the DC into square wave ac which was then stepped-up, rectified and filtered for the B+ . Some used devices called Dynamotors which were motor-generators to provide the plate voltage.

Back in 1962, the United States detonated a nominal 1.5 megaton device (Sources quote the yield of 1.4 to 1.45 megatons) at an altitude of 250 miles above Johnston Atoll, west and slightly south of Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean, the program was Operation Starfish Prime. Among the "victims" of the EMP were a telephone company microwave link and some streetlights in Hawaii, 998 miles away along with the first operational telecommunications satellite "Telstar".

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have been leaning this way, but I thought someone could make a business selling to the masses.

3. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

KE0EYJ and W4IOA like this.
  4. KC7TWS

KC7TWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes sir, six pages.....HAM's are funny that way, LOL. If there's one thing HAM's like to do its talk.

Lots of good information in these pages too. Faraday cages, basic supplies of food, water, power....a plan. For those of us who have been through earthquakes, hurricanes and the like preparing or "prepping" is something you do. Not all preppers are wanna-be ninja demon zombie assassins, LOL. Some of us are all about community. As a retired cop who stayed as a reserve I'm still a first responder.

I use solar cells with an inverter to provide power. I've a setup for my radios that uses AGM batteries and runs all my stuff. I also have chargers for the cell phones, portables and a really niceTecsun radio for listening to AM/FM/SW on the go. I have some small electronics wrapped in bubble wrap, then aluminium foil, bubble wrap and another layer of foil and bubble wrap inside metal ammo cans that have their lids grounded to the bodies. Surge protectors/grounded at the station and all radios are normally not connected to an antenna unless I'm using them.

I also have the equipment necessary to detect radioactive fallout. I use the same instruments our local FD uses and they are easily available off Ebay for example for around $200. Yes I also have more sophisticated equipment and these items also require some instruction to use properly. The long and short of it is, I did this stuff in the military, trained for it and provided I don't end up being IN the fireball of a nuclear blast, I have the training and equipment to survive after and still be of use. Bugging out is a great plan IF you have somewhere to go and a plan. Sheltering in place can work too but it depends on thew circumstances.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For HTs, consider using static shielding bags. The kind with a metal coating and a "Ziplock" type seal that protect electronics from ESD and EM fields. They are fairly inexpensive, available in many sizes, and the large electronic suppliers carry them as well as ULINE and many other places.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

I have seen that Aliexpress sells some radiation detectors for cheap, but assumed they are crap.

I wonder.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...7063448&SearchText=nuclear+radiation+detector

7. KC7TWS

KC7TWS Ham Member QRZ Page

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. KE0EYJ

How long do those take to get a reading? The cheap ones say it takes 6 minutes?

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG. I remember the old ARC series radios, and their dynamotors. (I guess I'm showing my age...) I modified one transmitter for the 40 Meter band.