ad: Amateur-1

Does anyone sell an EMP-resistant tube radio these days?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not particularly steerable

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed. Nobody has come up with a "directed energy EMP weapon" contrary to all the tinfoil hat folks.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You talking bout me again?

4. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was worried about emp I guess that I would put my post apocalypse radio in a metal trash can and hook it to a ground rod.
    I always wonder what the post apocalypse conversation would be like. Hey bill, how's it going? Pretty bad here. Yep Jake pretty bad over here too. Lol

WA4CZD, W1TRY and KA0HCP like this.
  5. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

A fellow ham friend's job in the military was testing equipment for susceptibility to EMP. He subjected ham radio held-held transceivers to much more EMP than would be experienced from an actual EMP attack, and as long as they were not plugged into a charge they nearly all survived. This stuff about an EMP attack would destroy solid state equipment and put us back into the 1800's is pretty far fetched.

Bill - K5MIL

KA0HCP and W7UUU like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've read numerous articles saying much the same thing. Sure, SOME stuff will get fried instantly but the odds are small that EVERYTHING would be fried.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the Swan does have sweep tubes. I have 270-B, 350, and 2 - 500's. All good rigs if you keep them in working order. I also have a Swan 200-A which is all solid state. Sweep tubes are not that hard to come by and usually show up at ham fests for a reasonable price. The bigger concern with hollow state radios are the capacitors, resistors, and other old components that age poorly. I carry a list of parts when I go to a ham fest and shop.

As for EMP, I work at a government communications site and we do care about EMP. We are looking at some testing and retro fitting at selected sites.

8. K4PIH

Yes modern SS devices are actually pretty resistant if proper protection is applied.

9. K4PIH

I know where he's coming from. I spent a total of 4.5 years in South Korea with the USAF and as a Korean station (HL9AXN/HL9AXT). Great country and great hams. I miss the place and so does my XYL who is Korean.[/QUOTE]

10. K4PIH

Steve,

I may be down in P'Cola 16 - 20 December. May try to hook up if you are up to it.