Does anyone know who made this Beam Antenna???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NO9B, Jul 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

My best guess would also be Telrex. Some of the older ARRL handbooks, as I recall, also had ads for Telrex. ('50s '60s '70s)

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

They had a number of product brochures over the years for their HF, HF (Christmas Tree style), and VHF antennas. I just drove past
    the old building yesterday (7/29/20). If I remember correctly, the rotator they sold was chain driven.

telrex-1.jpg

NL7W, KA4DPO and K3XR like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I recall, Pete. They also made something like an angle iron bracket device to attach to the top (side) of a utility pole where you could insert the rotor. It was common in the '50s and later to pay the utility company to install a pole in your back yard for the purpose of mounting antennas. I would be referring to the Philly/So. Jersey area.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

A quick screen grab off the web:

telrex-2.jpg

NL7W, K3XR, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The driven element uses insulators at the boom and the others do not.

From what I see it is a basic 20-15M 2 element tribander with a possible additional director for 10M.

It sure doesnt appear to be 3" boom.

It certainly appears useable with minimal work.

Carl

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you recall Telrex making any serious HF beams that used "one" U-bolt to clamp to the mast?

I don't.

The VHF beams (like for 2m) did.

Every HF Telrex I ever worked with used a mounting plate with four U-bolts and clamps.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Hammy Hambone got to it but making a decent plate is simple or just buy one for the correct boom size, Hy Gain, CC, etc.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course. Anyone can make this, and DXE sells them already fabricated and good to go.

But the photos in the original post looked like that particular beam wasn't hambone modified, it sure looked original as the real boom-to-mast clamp.

I've never seen a "single U-bolt and clamp" used for HF beams, at least not for any that weighed anything; and I don't recall Telrex ever doing that on anything other than 2m and "up" (VHF-UHF) beams. That just seemed weird.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Id choose Hy Gain and CC over DXE any day for value for the money

We are talking about the clamp and NOT the antenna which is ALL Telrex

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

"Slummin' it, eh Pete?"

Maybe they had some models that were not, but the ones I built in my brief tenure as an employee there were.

I say brief... that building was just WAY WAY WAY too HOT! for my liking. Flat black tar roof a couple feet over head... The pay sucked anyway, so I found cooler pastures.