Does anyone know who made this Beam Antenna???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NO9B, Jul 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. NO9B

NO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Day:
    Our club was donated a beam antenna from a SK. The son told me this was an MF Shane antenna, I said you mean, MFJ? Nope hes said MF Shane???
    An internet search revealed nothing.
    Looks like its 4 elements but the two end elements are insulated from the boom with bakelite insulators and the two inner elements are not insulated from the boom.
    The one insulated element has traps and the other one does not.
    If I had to guess its a rotatable dipole on 20, 2 element beam on 15 and 4 element beam on 10.

So, please look at the attached pictures and see if you can help and if your interested in buying it please let me know. The proceeds go to our club scholarship fund. http://warac.org/

Thanks
    Steve
    NO9B

Attached Files:

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Construction appears to be "Telrex" (Asbury Park, NJ), vintage 1950s or 1960s.

The trap detail shown is exactly what Telrex did (inductor with shunt capacitor then all epoxy coated) as do the element to boom assembly details. However at a quick look (I'm on a laptop right now with no added monitor) it appears there's only one boom to mast clamp, using a U-bolt and toothed saddle?

They would never used just one U-bolt to mount a big HF beam; they did for very small beams (VHF) or perhaps a really lightweight HF beam for 10/15m or something. No way that could support anything like a 40m beam. Their booms for the 20m/40m sized beams were also large diameter, typically 3" and the boom shown doesn't appear to be that large.

I'll look on a bigger monitor later to see if I can catch more details; but in any case, appears to be made by Telrex. They've been out of business for about 30 years.

NK8I and KA4DPO like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    NK8I likes this.
  4. NO9B

NO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks very much for the information!
    Only one mast clamp, correct.
    The boom is pretty big in diameter.
    Thanks
    Steve
    NO9B

5. NO9B

NO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
    Steve
    NO9B

6. WB2WIK

Telrex would never use a single U-bolt boom to mast clamp on anything big; that's a very light-duty design for their smaller antennas and nothing that would cover 40 meters, for sure.

It may be a short-boom tribander for 10/15/20m and I don't remember the short-boom yagis much anymore -- haven't seen one in probably 25 years.

However, to help identify the model:

• Measure the assembled boom length -- in the photos it looks "short" (like less than twenty feet), but that may be deceiving
    • Measure the boom diameter
    • Count the traps: It looks like four traps per driven element, which would be typical of a tribander -- but how many traps total are there?
    • How long is a fully assembled element with four traps (two per "side")?
    I have some old Telrex catalogs and might be able to spot something that matches; but maybe not. They were in business for more than 40 years and made thousands of antennas and a lot of different designs.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. NO9B

NO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

I will measure everything an report back.
    As for traps, there are 4 total, 2 on one side two on the other and no other elements have traps.
    To me it looks like there might be parts missing.
    Thanks very much!
    Steve

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it looks like it has been repaired more than once in it's lifetime, some of the fittings appear to be home brew.

9. WB2WIK

Likely an ~50 year-old Telrex with missing parts. If so, value = approximately $0.:)

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The boom may actually be worth something. Towards the end of the line for Telrex, they seemed to have switched to a cheaper grade of aluminum. The result was that the elements would wear out the boom, with no real way to repair. If you have a boom in good shape, it might be worth something to someone with an old Telrex with good elements and a bad boom.