Does anyone got any card from/via K1IED ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK5MAV, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK5MAV

VK5MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone got any card from/via K1IED ?

I did make a contact with KC4USV back in 2006.
    His manager is K1IED.
    And from that time I can't get confirmation.
    It may be possible if I'm not in log, logs have been lost, etc.

But after 1 direct and few emails sent to K1IED I've got NO reply at all.

Great practice, great respect.

VK5MAV Andy.

2. W5WS

W5WS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a card from him for a contact with KC4AAA, it took just over two months for a contact in Dec 2009. His qrz.com profile says he's been the qsl manager for KC4USV for "5 or 6 years", so it's possible he doesn't have logs for your contact. Don't know why he doesn't answer email.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Larry's a nice guy, I've known him for 45 years. Possibly his e-mail address changed, or maybe he never checks it (many older folks don't).

Why not just call him on the telephone and see what's up, or write a letter to his regular mail address?

I know older hams who've been licensed 50+ years and almost never use e-mail. We're not kids, who grew up with it.

4. VK5MAV

OK, it seems to be good idea.
    What's a reason to publish e-mail if owner doesn't use it ?
    I'll try to ring him (if his phone number has been published anywhere, if he takes incoming calls - telephone was invented many years ago and he didn't grew up with it ).

However - if you read my post - direct means snail-mail and I did it already... :)

5. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This might lend a clue to the mystery;

I'd just work them again when you can. Antarctica isn't all that rare.

6. VK5MAV

Yes, for sure, it's not rare.
    Antarctica has been confirmed already on all bands by Russian and Australian stations.
    However, it's some kind of sentimental dream for me...:)
    And I haven't heard McMurdo anymore. I did check cluster 2 mins ago - last spot was in Jan/Feb this year.

And finally and again - I'm not talking about QSL (may be not in log, etc.) - I.m talking about responciveness. That's it.
    It would be enogh to get "Not in log", it is simple as "one, two, three".

7. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I kept putting my shoes on and walking out to the mailbox all hours of the night and day until my wife explained "Youv'e Got Mail" to me.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Andy,

I have in the past.

My understanding is that K1IED has to wait for the logs from KC4AAA, KC4USV and the rest of the stations he manages. And sometimes, well, the operators don't keep the logs in great condition... if they log at all. Some don't.

Remember that some of the ops aren't hams, or aren't active hams, but are working scientists, researchers, and technical people operating in their limited free time, and as such, aren't always as conversant on operating practices as we would like.

I can't answer why he hasn't returned your emails; I suspect he may be innundated with similar queries, not that that's a justification.

All I can recommend is to work KC4USV again this coming season. I believe from another thread that there are going to be a couple of hams down at McMurdo this season, so it should be possible.

9. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

THis may answer your initial desire...hope so..posted a bit further down in the forum by N0RC:

I (N0RC) will be at McMurdo Station, Antarctica from Nov 14th - Jan 13th. I want to contact someone that has operated there in the last 5 to 10 years. I am wanting to know what the specific operating conditions are (rigs, antennas, headsets, etc) so I know what is provided and what I need to bring. Also, if possible a POC to gain access to the station.

10. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked KC4AAA twice in 2009 months apart. I sent two SASEs. After months I received one QSL. Never received the other. Never got a reply to emails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.