Does anyone actually buy $12,000 transceivers?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4WVW, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3RU

K3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when I unloaded the old Collins gear I was pretty much DONE with tubes. All the Collins gear worked but was too bulky for my taste. I wasn't real impressed with the Collins receivers for many reasons. I found the KWS1 to be particularly obnoxious because of it's "footprint".

This was back in the 80's and at the time was still using - speaking of weird tubes - a SB301/SB401/SB200. A new Kenwood TS940S was purchased later and that was the end of all tube gear - except for the SB200 - in my shack. Got rid of everything I could which contained tubes.

Not that the TS940S was exactly trouble free, that radio at times was the BIGGEST PITA I ever experienced. At 50lbs or so it can be very difficult to work on even with a service manual and a well-equipped test bench. When working properly, the TS940S is still today an EXCELLENT radio. But overall, I am glad I divorced myself from the "tube hunt" and could NEVER go back to those old analog tuning dials. Digital frequency readout - accurately - to 10hz is a thing of beauty, not to mention all the other "tricks" a digital radio is capable of.

Today, even the TS940S is more or less obsolete. I have two of them which these days sit and collect dust. Now and then I fire-them-up to keep them working. My main rig now is an ICOM IC-7600 driving an AL-1500. I bought the ICOM IC-7600 new at a very good price just BEFORE the much balley-hooed IC-7610 was rolled out, which has not exactly been issue-free with its "touch-screen" and other problems.

It's been a long road since I was first licensed in 1966. These days the LAST thing I want to do is work on a radio. I did enough of that in my life and now just want to OPERATE !