Does anyone actually buy $12,000 transceivers?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4WVW, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HAW!! That's BRILLIANT!

At least, a few do.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t recall seeing this thought here, so I’ll toss it out: (if I’m repeating what someone has said already, I apologize).

During times when technology is changing rapidly, there can be very large and real differences in performance between high end and average radios. When technology is more quiescent, not so much.

Solid state, integrated circuits, digital synthesizers, software control, etc. were all were disruptive to varying degrees. And not only offering more, but at lower cost eventually.

More recently as DSP started to be added to our radios 10 -15 years ago, the high end difference could be large. Today it has worked it’s way into even very modestly priced radios and the differences are far narrower, and costs were lowered as time went on.

We are going through another change, this time from superhets with DSP, to full SDR, which has even arrived at the modest end with the 7300.

N2EY likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a very good point! And there are plenty of examples.

My favorite is the IC-781. When it first appeared over 30 years ago (!) it was $6000 - which is about $12,267 today. It had features and performance never seen in a one-box transceiver before. Not many were made, but the '781 started trends (such as the built-in front-panel CRT display) and DDS that continue today.....in much less expensive rigs! The IC-7300 is well under $500 in 1989 dollars.

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right!! But most of the differences in performance are largely lost on most of the hams that buy those high end radios.

Actually I think I might have implied it saying most people (other than Rob Sherwood and others like him) would mostly not notice the differences.

I do not "dog" the people that own a Mercedes, Porsche, BMW or other high end car. It's certainly their choice and most or all of the people I know with them thoroughly enjoy them and that's what it's all about!

this really applies to just about all the Hobbies.....there's a LOT of high end expensive stuff for them. They wouldn't be on the market if no one bought them!

Same with the high end radios I would think.

N2EY likes this.
  5. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

You may also suppose there are some really cheap hams and they REALLY buy $25 Hts...
    lol

Obviously some hams do buy the $30k Kenwood. or they would not market it!

6. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do they market a $30k Kenwood? Haven't seen that one.....

7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me neither. I thought their top of the line was the 990, which is a little more than $7K

8. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember seeing a $15k kenwood on display at hamcom a few years ago. They either discontinued it, the price dropped or I need to stop sniffing glue.

9. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t believe a 30k beast exists, OM must have suffered a typo....

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed - the most expensive modern rig I know of would be a fully loaded Hilberling that tops out at around $18,000

But if you want to look back in time, a Collins KW1 today will EASILY fetch $18,000 to $20,000 and it's just a transmitter! Of course, the buying audience for a KW1 dwindles every single day - there will come a time in just a few years where there simply won't be anyone who even knows what a Collins KW1 is.... and not too terribly long after that, what ham radio even is :eek::rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

VK6APZ, N0TZU and KE0GXN like this.