Does anyone actually buy $12,000 transceivers?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4WVW, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose there are some really wealthy hams out there. I have no experience with these top of the line radios but how much better can they be than radios that cost 1/10th as much? More power to them if they can afford it I guess. Not bashing, just curious.

2. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do people really put a Lexus under the tree?

KI7HSB, N1ART, VK6APZ and 4 others like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see much difference in a $10 bottle of wine and a $40 bottle. BUT there certainly is a difference between a $30 and $100 bottle.
    It doesn't take a wealthy person to buy a $25k boat, lots of middle class people do it all the time. If ham radio is one's only vice, a $12k transceiver isn't hard...especially if one has put up a tower.

PU2OZT and K0UO like this.
  4. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen SW radios, for 10K+, just SW! Crazy

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, . . . one of my friends.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People buy $80k cars when a $25k one would do nicely.

Not much difference when just driving to the neighborhood grocery store. Likewise, there isn’t that much difference in radio performance for the average QSO. The more expensive radios have very noticeable improvements, even critical ones, over the cheaper ones in harsher conditions like serious contesting, DXpeditions, etc.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    WA7PRC, N2EY and W4IOA like this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A $12k radio makes you a four times better ham than a $3k radio.

WD4IGX, K4VBB, W9FL and 2 others like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you serious ? Or just Trolling ? Nice first post. :rolleyes:

It takes money to go first class... o_O

KD4MOJ, K1TGX, W4IOA and 2 others like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Certainly they do. Plenty of hams around here have IC 7800s and 7810s. None of them are what I'd call "wealthy," either. Any more than a lot of boat owners--who have several times that or, usually, more invested in their pastime--are necessarily wealthy. Me? I've always been happy with the mid level rigs, but if Icom came out with an SDR version of the 7810 I might be tempted. :)

K0UO likes this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure there are a lot hams who just finance those high dollar rigs, just like boats, motorcycles, etc..

I am not personally looking to spend that much on a radio, considering I have no towers or beams at my disposal. I honestly can’t see myself justifying buying a 12k radio and feeding it with a 100 dollar wire antenna. :confused:

Now if I had the land and the (disposable) income, yeah that might be a different story. :D

PU2OZT, KI7OQF, AE5SB and 2 others like this.