Does anybody send from a keyboard and read by ear.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by 2E0LPL, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck no

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Ill never have a skill remotely close to that. At 25 ragchew I might copy 75% provided it was not technical stuff. Still not nearly good enough to consider a conversation at that speed. I'm probably maxed out at 21 ish which still needs some perfection. I can get lost at that speed depending upon the other OP's sending ability. I have spend months cramming trying to become non dependant upon a pen/paper and use head copy only and am close but still needs a tweak. I am now working on being able to switch between a single lever paddle and the bug. Old dog, new tricks or something like that. 73 Rich

N7KO likes this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

that's good Dave, real good what you did, that's fine, real fine. Ain't that right, he did real good everybody.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    M6GYU and W7UUU like this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

If one is using a computer to send and copy CW, is it really CW, I would think it would be more like ritty or some other form of electronic communication that uses Morse .

To me it is learning to head copy and hand send Morse that makes it enjoyable, pure CW.

Even better when you can do it from a simple transceiver that does only CW that you can carry is a small box of some sort. I like to go on a bike ride, and when I get to my destination throw up a wire and start copying and sending CW. I am not fast I am at 15 to 18 WPM but this is what I enjoy. I like to just make some casual contacts, experiment on antennas and enjoy the moment. 73,

M6GYU likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been remoting in to my system for a few quick QSOs during breaks at work - my only option is to send via KB (well, send via RS-ba1) and copy by ear. While at home I only send by hand (unless it's a contest where I let N1mm do it for me...)

As long as you CAN do it if you NEED to do it, it doesn't make a difference how you send it - copying CW by ear is the true skill

K5ABB and N7KO like this.